General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Special Day

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 28 Mar 2014 07:52

Today my darling OH retires after working 47 years, he looked ten years younger as he set off this morning. <3 <3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2014 08:01

He will soon wonder how he found time to go out to work .we both did.

Mind you for the first couple of weeks you feel like you are on holiday.it's when you don't have that Monday feeling and realise you don't have to go to work that it all clicks in

It's very temping to either go full pelt into jobs that have stacked up or to wind down too much and get a bit depressed and not want to do anything .

It's getting the happy medium found

We occasionally go out to lunch in the week in a local pub/restaurant at 2 meals for £7,50 it doesn't break the bank .

Hope he has a lovely day today

Susan-nz

Susan-nz Report 28 Mar 2014 08:21

Happy retirement to your OH, may you have many happy carefree years ahead of you. :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Mar 2014 08:23

good time of the year, to retire.......spring is getting sprung, summer to look forward to........instead of in the autumn

have a good retirement, together.....
Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Mar 2014 10:00

good news - here's hoping you have many happy retirement years together Paula <3

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 28 Mar 2014 10:23

Hope he enjoys his last day at work and the coming permanent holiday:)
What Shirley says makes sense:)

jude x

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 28 Mar 2014 10:27

I echo what Shirley has said.

May your OH enjoy his retirement Paula and also the new spring in his steps :-D

kandj

kandj Report 28 Mar 2014 11:15

A very special day then Paula and a new beginning now for you both to enjoy.

I wish your OH very many years of happiness in retirement and good health to you both so you are able to do all the things you have planned together. xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Mar 2014 12:16

Happy retirement to your OH and to you because you will be able to go out and about enjoying each other's company. It will be 14 years in August since I retired and my OH retired before me. I have not regretted a minute of it, love the freedom. We try and make one day a week our day for going out - to NT properties, gardens etc, Doesn't always work as other things need doing but in the summer months we manage it mostly.

Have fun. :-) :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 28 Mar 2014 12:28

OH retired 14 years ago and I finished working 7 years ago and these last few years have been amongst the best we have had together. As others have said your OH will wonder how he ever had time to go to work.

Wishing OH a happy retirement. May you both have many happy years ahead and the good health to enjoy them.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 28 Mar 2014 14:28

I recommend retirement to all who are thinking about it :-)

I hope you and your OH Paula have many wonderful days together <3

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 28 Mar 2014 17:14

Here's hoping you have many happy years retirement together. Enjoy every minute. :-D :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 28 Mar 2014 18:18

Happy Retirement to you OH Paula <3 <3 <3

Wend

Wend Report 28 Mar 2014 19:23

I found when my dear lad retired that he drove me bonkers for a few weeks:

Where are you? What are you doing? As I walked out the front door, he shouted 'Where are you going? . . . and so it went on.

Now, after 4 years, we live in domestic bliss - he has his interests, I have mine, but we sit and chat to eachother a lot and I love having him around, particularly as he enjoys cooking and I don't ;-) :-D

Happy days to you and your OH Paula - enjoy his retirement and having him around <3

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 28 Mar 2014 19:41

How lovely, wishing you and your OH a very long and happy retirement.

I don't know when we will retire, my husband loves his work and has no immediate plans to stop.......and my retirement age keeps getting further away.

Wend

Wend Report 28 Mar 2014 19:50

Does he like cooking Kitty? :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 28 Mar 2014 19:59

He does.....but he messes up my lovely kitchen :-|

We did agree that when he retires, which will be before me, he can do most of it as long as he learns to clean up properly :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2014 20:18

Happy retirement

I retired first, 14 years ago. OH didn't retire for another 3 years ....................... but he still has 2 offices out at the university, where he does the things he enjoys .....................

............. working as a Project Director (unpaid) for the botanical garden and being a "sounding board"

.............. some contact with students, especially those in the Opera Programme

............. writing a history of the Botany Department and Faculty for the upcoming 100th anniversary of the university. He's having a ball talking to people about when they came, and what they remember about the earlier faculty, stories etc :-)

I do find when he is home, that he is always checking up what I am doing :-(

Paula ............................... One piece of advice that we were both given when we retired, and which worked out really well, was the following ...............

arrange to be doing something very different on the first day of retirement (???Monday, in your case??) ........... that prevents the retiree from continually checking to see the time.

It could be as simple as arranging a trip out for lunch.

Wend

Wend Report 28 Mar 2014 22:02

Simples,as you say, Sylvia :-D

Same down my end ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2014 22:22

;-) ;-)