General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This must have been an amazing experience

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 28 Mar 2014 12:41

The moment a 39-year-old woman heard for the first time, thanks to cochlear implants - watch the video.

Joanne Milne burst into tears when she heard a nurse reading out the days of the week. Ms Milne, from Gateshead, was born deaf and during her 20s she also began to lose her sight, due to the rare medical condition Usher syndrome.

Ms Milne said: "The switch-on was the most emotional and overwhelming experience of my life and I'm still in shock now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-26779079

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Mar 2014 12:49

Just wonderful.

Thank you for sharing. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2014 12:52

Oh wow,had me with watery eyes too

What a difference it will make for the lady.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 28 Mar 2014 13:28

Amazing...just seen this on news...

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2014 20:19

A friend of mine had a cochlear implant about three years ago and once he could hear, the two things which frightened him most were his children screaming and the flushing of the toilet.

McB

McB Report 28 Mar 2014 20:26

My boy was born with no cochlear in his left ear, he's 25 now, doesn't miss a thing !!!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Mar 2014 20:51

I also saw this woman on TV.
This may sound like a stupid question...

If she has never heard her own or any other voice before, how come she speaks with a regional accent?
She was even surprised by her own Geordie accent???

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Mar 2014 21:48

My niece's daughter was given cochlear implants when she was a year old........... her eyes went as big as saucers, and the huge smile on her face when she heard her mother's voice!!!

Amazing.

<3