General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

To the memory of a Grand Old Lady

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Mar 2014 09:36

On this the 12th anniversary of her death, I recall memories of meeting a lovely old lady who I had the privilege to meet and chat with when she visited the Abbey on Iona - that lovely old lady was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

I was sitting with some colleagues at the staff table in the kitchen, having a cup of tea, when George MacLeod, the Founder of the Iona Community, walked in and introduced the Queen Mother to us, we were all about to stand up when she said, don't stand up finish your tea, whilst we drank our tea she asked each of us about what roles we played in the work of the Iona Community and compared the Abbey's modern kitchens with the antiquated ones she had at Clarence House.

Sadly on this day, the 30th March 2002, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother died peacefully in her sleep at the grand old aged of 101.

Rest In Peace Ma'am - you were loved by many <3

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 30 Mar 2014 09:56

Wow what an honour that was for you and your work colleagues. What a lovely old she was:)

RIP.

jude x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Mar 2014 09:59

lucky you - when I did a big raffle for a summer fete I organised for our local hospital where I worked, she sent me a beautiful Crown Derby planter as a prize - it was beautiful

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Mar 2014 04:48

What a lovely memory for you to have OFiTG, the Queen Mum was well loved by so many

Lizx

Joeva

Joeva Report 31 Mar 2014 14:04

I have a wonderful memory of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother....

It is from the 12th of June 1997 when she visited the re-furbished East Building of Smithfield Market....

The photo I have uploaded as my avator is of my three granddaughters with their mum and dad being introduced to her Majesty and giving her their posies....

A very cherished memory <3

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 31 Mar 2014 16:13

What a lovely picture and wonderful memory for them all Joeva.

She was a national treasure. Do you still have the planter Ann ?

M.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 31 Mar 2014 16:17

One lovely memory to put in the family tree

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:27

the planter was for the raffle - it was won by a patient who didn't really want it, so we gave her £100 out of the raffle money and raffled it again and someone who did want it won it!!!