General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My great aunt, Edith Copeland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 2 Apr 2014 15:45

Can anyone help me with this puzzle. In the 1871 census My great great grandad, Isaac Copeland, his wife Mary Ann and children, Edward T, Edith T, Ruth (my great grandma) and William are living in Burton on Trent, Burton Extra. I can find no other trace of Edith, either birth or marriage or death. It looks on the census like she is 9 the same as Ruth, but looking at the birth record on BMD for Ruth, she does not seem to have had a twin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jan

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Apr 2014 16:28

From the records, its looks like Isaac and Mary married in 1868, arter Edith was born.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1868 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copeland Isaac Manchester 8d 194
Rice Mary Ann Manchester 8d 194

Edith would have been registered with Marys surname at the time, so maybe

Births Mar 1862 (>99%)

RICE Edith Susannah Burton 6b 308
RICE Edith Susannah Burton 6b 508

Ruth was born to Isaac and his first wife.

Maybe

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Dec 1853 (>99%)

Copeland Isaac Derby 7b 702
SALT Jane Derby 7b 702
Scott Jane Derby 7b 702

1861 census for Burton

Isaac Copeland 29
Jane Copeland 31
Mary Ann Copeland 6
Thos Edd Copeland 1

Andy

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 2 Apr 2014 16:31

Do you know the name of Ruth's mother?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Apr 2014 16:35

Have looked at the original page of 1871 census and Edith is either 1 or 7 certainly not 9.
However, I have trawled FreeBMD and not Edith or Edith T births in Burton Upon Trent come up and a search covering 1861 -1872.

She may have been registered under a different name. ie the middle initial T could be her first name on registration.

And nothing under the alternate spelling of Copland. It is also possible she may not have been born in Burton on Trent.

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Apr 2014 16:39

Maybe

me First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Sep 1880 (>99%)

Jennings Isaac Harold Basford 7b 221
Rice Edith Basford 7b 221

1881 England Census
about Edith Jennings

Name:Edith Jennings
Estimated birth year:abt 1862
Relationship to Head:Wife
Spouse:Isaac Jennings
Where born:Burton On Trent, Staffordshire, England
Civil Parish:Basford
County/Island:Nottinghamshire
Street address:14 Beech Avenue
Marital Status:Married
Education:
Employment status:
View image
Registration district:Basford
Sub-registration district:Basford
ED, institution, or vessel:11
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece:3330
Folio:61
Page Number:55
Household Members:
Name
Isaac Jennings 32
Edith Jennings 19

Andy

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 2 Apr 2014 16:41

I agree with Andrew that it looks like Isaac was married to Jane. It looks like Jane died in 1864

Deaths Jun 1864
Copeland Jane Burton 6b 210

If this is correct then Ruth and Edith could have different mothers as Edith could be the child of Mary A, Isaac's second wife..

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2014 17:20

There is an Edith Copeland registered Nottingham 1861,,,,,possibly Isaac moved for work during this time ?

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Apr 2014 17:26

I think this is the Edith born in Nottingham

1871 census for Hyson Green

William Vickers Copeland 50
Sarah Margaret Copeland 12
Edith Copeland 10
George Hawksley Copeland 7
Mary Vickers Copeland 5
Eliza Bennett 41
Mary Lane 15

Andy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2014 18:05

Whos is Edith T, from Janets post,,,,

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Apr 2014 18:38

I think Edith T should be Edith S, judging by other writing on the page. Compare the 'S' of Staffordshire. Compare to the 'T' in Tatenhill. A shorter loop at the top of the letter.

Andy

Janet

Janet Report 3 Apr 2014 18:29

Thank you very much. I now have lots more to research. Isaac's first wife certainly was Jane Salt. Will post more when I have checked what else I have that fits in.