General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Platinum access

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 2 Apr 2014 19:36

Hi I am a new member and cant understand why have to pay to view a death record in 1947. Membership says that I have access to BMD 1837 to 2006.
Can anyone advise as I cant find a 'contact us' button on site

jax

jax Report 2 Apr 2014 19:56

You cannot view the record only the registration details to order it

If you cannot view the reg details contact Genes at

[email protected]

or use freebmd...which is free but only goes up to about 1970

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

certs can be ordered here for £9.25 each

http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Apr 2014 20:20

Ummm....

"I am a new member"

It seems you have been a member since September 2008??

:-)

jax

jax Report 2 Apr 2014 20:38

Date of joining means nothing......I have been a member since 2007 apparently, I didn't use the site until Jan 2010...which includes doing any sort of tree

David

David Report 2 Apr 2014 20:41

Thank you very much
David

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 2 Apr 2014 20:41

Same sort of thing with me too. I think it stems from perhaps just logging on to the site for a quick look

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Apr 2014 20:43

David, probably means he has just become a paying member and his profile was created when he joined as a free member?

Roy

jax

jax Report 2 Apr 2014 20:45

I must have joined in 2007 and added my name using the same log in details as Friends reunited......so when I returned when I had time on my hands all I needed to do was pay

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Apr 2014 21:36

Either way...........

Welcome to the boards David.

:-D

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 3 Apr 2014 15:21

Hi David,

Please email [email protected] and they will take a look at your membership.

Regards

Shelley

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 3 Apr 2014 15:58

David,
are you sure you are a "Platinum Member"? Check at the top of page, next to where it says SIGN OUT.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Apr 2014 17:12

As a Platinum Member you should be able to view an unlimited amount of Death RECORDS as part of your subscription.

I certainly can- I have been a Platinum Member for about 3 years.

With Platinum you can see Birth, Death, Marriage and Census', plus send messages and use the Boards- unless they have changed their policies very recently.

You have to add-on to your subs to see Parish Records / Travel etc.

You would have to pay to access CERTIFICATES through Registration Offices or On-Line Services.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Apr 2014 17:35

But i don't understand why you need a GR Platinum membership to see BMD records when they're free on FreeBMD?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

jax

jax Report 3 Apr 2014 18:21

That's what I also said Margee

As far as I am aware (no credits left after being ripped off) the Genes marriage records before 1912 do not even give a choice of spouse.....so that is worth having isn't it?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Apr 2014 00:37

Sorry, Jax, didn't realize you'd already said that.

Still it's worth repeating, isn't it?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Apr 2014 13:04

I wonder if Dave understands that all the BMD records he can view on here (or FreeBMD) are just the registration details.

As we all know you can only view a certificate if you purchase it. Via the GRO in Blackpool.

Though some London/Surrey and other areas' parish records do show the original. Found 8 yesterday on the Surrey records on Ancestry. And have found quite a few of my London ones (some after I had purchased some time ago before they came online).

David

David Report 5 Apr 2014 10:52

I do know they are just registration details not certificates its just that on one particular (so far only one anyway) I am being asked to pay to view.
Feel like being ripped off somewhat.
Wish I had persevered with FreeBMD now.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 5 Apr 2014 11:36

David,
I am a platinum member... if you wish to pm me the details I will look at the same, to see exactly what you mean.
(Entirely up to you of course)