General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Grandmothers Birth Certificate.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mary

mary Report 3 Apr 2014 19:49

After searching for just over two years for my grandmothers B.C, Ihave at last found it. But can anyone tell me what ( in the column when and where born) Lying in hospital means. Thanks

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2014 19:53

It was a maternity hospital.

Years ago, new mothers had a 2 week lying in period, they stayed in bed to recover. This was before it was discovered being bedridden for long periods of time was a bad idea.

Hope this helps Mary. :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 Apr 2014 19:58

I had to stay in two weeks when I had both my children
it was very comon in those days :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2014 20:02

I did for my eldest, but we were all allowed to get up and limp painfully round the ward *winces at the memory* ;-)

mary

mary Report 3 Apr 2014 20:10

Thanks for the information. Would her mother have been allowed to register the birth the following day.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Apr 2014 20:24

Lying-in-Hosptials were around from the mid to late 1700s to solely for married women to have their babies privately away from the home. and were given for the time best known care ,,,,,just like a later maturnity nursing home,as it was the norm was to have their babies at home,,,,,,later they did cater for single women.

times have changed but women stayed in bed for a month after the birth,then as years went on 3 time lessened till we have just hours today,,,,,,many people who had a month laying in died of blood clots/white leg as it was known by all due to being inactive after the birth...

London had the first lying in hospital in England,.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2014 20:32

I registered the births of 3 of my 4 children while in hospital, maybe the registrar called into the hospital your Grandma was born in.

Was her mother named as the informant on the certificate?

mary

mary Report 3 Apr 2014 20:50

Yes she was the informant. The other unusual thing is that my Grandma's name was not on the Birth Certificate.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2014 20:53

Maybe they hadn't yet decided on one at the time. It is unusual though.

mary

mary Report 3 Apr 2014 20:57

I notice you'r researching the name Pelham, my Grandmother's half sisters were Pelhams.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 3 Apr 2014 21:29

From West Sussex??

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Apr 2014 13:42

Google 'Lying-In Hospitals' there is a wealth of information about them out there.

Both my father and his mother were born in the Lying In hospital on the South side of Westminster Bridge. The building is still there but no longer used as a hospital. I think this is one of the last ones still standing.