General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In this day and age

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Apr 2014 19:56

What does shock you ?

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Apr 2014 19:58

Im shocked at not being shocked anymore ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2014 20:01

Not a lot - I get more disgusted than shocked

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Apr 2014 20:34

lol Mersey I would like to think I am the same
Det I am more with you not shocked just amazed

Graham

Graham Report 6 Apr 2014 20:43

The media expose us to so much, we aren't shocked as much now as we once were. When we see something bad happen now it tends to be similar to what we've seen before.

Wend

Wend Report 6 Apr 2014 20:45

I am often shocked at the cruelty and man's inhumanity to man that I see on the news.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Apr 2014 21:03

I suppose I have been around long enough that I shouldn't be shocked any more. So, maybe not shocked but I find It hard to accept when I read about police brutality, and dishonesty and also that of other public servants such as postal workers, customs officers, MPs etc, all people who, in my youth we looked up to and who were beyond reproach.

And then also really bad manners, eg i opened a shop door of our small local shop to exit and a man maybe a few years younger than me pushed past me on the way in. I was stunned (actually said 'excuse' me').

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2014 21:19

Like others', I'm not so much shocked a filled with despair, disgust and anger.
Like Wend, cruelty and inhumanity absolutely disgust me.

What really makes me despair is the amount of lying, sleaze and double speak politicians can get away with, whilst (so it seems) attempting to 'control' the rest of society :-|
How insensitive, not a week past Maria Miller getting off with a slap on the wrist for lying, cheating and stealing, is it for IDS to declare that 'Benefit cheats should lose their houses'?
Don't know what planet he's on, but the majority of people on benefits don't own their own houses.

Apparently, though, it's okay for one of his cronies - a member of the government - ie her wages are paid by us - surely then, a form of benefit - to be able to sell a house falsely bought with our money at a huge profit!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Apr 2014 22:11

like Wend, man's inhumanity to man

having worked in a psychiatric hospital for nigh on thirty years there is very little, if anything that shocks me - seen it all and heard it all :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Apr 2014 23:25

Cruelty. In any form.

Shocks and disgusts me.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2014 23:53

Venal politicians, bent coppers, religious maniacs, murdering dictators and cruelty to animals and children are all utterly beyond the pale but not really shocking in the sense of being surprised.

What sticks in my mind was Dizzi's recent tale of the guy who came to see his dying grandmother in hospital, whizzed a few pictures of his kids past her and waltzed off without any attempt to engage with her. A sort of cold bloodedness that I really found shocking.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2014 00:11

Rollo, I was also - yes, shocked - by the story of the bloke and his grandmother - almost like 'I'm your next of kin, leave me the money' attitude.
Fortunately, I don't think I have any grandchildren with that attitude - mind you, they're young - but I always say, what goes around, comes around, and I know neither me nor my 3 siblings have that attitude, neither do our children, so hopefully it's rubbed off onto our grandchildren.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 7 Apr 2014 02:04

am shocked at the viciousness and ferocity of my pain tonight.... :-0