General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone noticed .........................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2014 05:07

....... how much better GR has been running since they took off the ads?????

so it is obvious that something to do with the ads was causing many of the problems of a few weeks ago

It's such a pleasure!

Thanks, GR :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Apr 2014 05:56

nope.

Still getting Error Messages.

Sometimes a post takes forever to get to the boards; if I click again there are duplicate posts and I have to delete them.

:-(

If I did get ads, I never noticed them.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2014 06:14

oh, I still get Error Messages .............

.......... but the site is running faster, and other very weird things are no longer happening

Graham

Graham Report 10 Apr 2014 09:05

I thought it was running slower. I just done a search for something and it took 10 minutes to tell me there wasn't any results to show me :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Apr 2014 09:58

Since years ago it has been possible to disable the ads by putting a single entry into the "hosts" file which disabled calls to the ad server and all the attendant woes. If people couldn't be bothered to do so then tant pis. Despite the disappearance of the ads a call to the ad server remains in the site code.

D C Thompson lost £ 2 million on Family History last financial year. The losses came despite the still growing market for FH on line. New people have been brought in to turn things around. They have a strong background in leveraging social networks for advertising revenue.

Given that there is a finite number of sites that can charge $ 15-40 per month subs. it seems likely then that the ads will be back in some shape or form.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Apr 2014 10:40

I may well be wrong, but doesn't Genes use the FMP records?
- That will be why the research results are taking longer.................

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 10 Apr 2014 14:50

I think GR is running better for me now.