General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have been sat here Pondering

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Apr 2014 02:49

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Apr 2014 02:56

Pondering as one does, and thought to myself.......

Why is it that some people who are supposedly uneducated and uneducateable ....I know....no such word.....I think! Lol.....anyway, where was I?......How come they can remember every trick there is to defraud the system.....or......remember word for word....scene by scene of East Enders or any other soap?.....this is a genuine pondering ....any thoughts?

I have often wondered this and someone somewhere must have asked the question or done a study on it one would have thought?

EDIT.....I don't just mean defrauding the system but remembering and knowing how to work the system.......There is of course more to it.....feel free to add your ideas.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Apr 2014 09:05

No two minds work in the same way.

Formal education is very much a 'one size fits all' concept' which it patently does not do.

My reasoning powers are adequate but I can barely count whereas somebody whose reasoning was not good might be deemed educationally challenged while they were outstripping everybody with their ability to make money.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Apr 2014 10:22

I know a lady who can barely add up or write and spell correctly....yet she goes to the bookies and can work out all the odds and what she wil get back after tax!!!!!

Im not sure how she does it?

Florence
in the hebrides :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2014 11:23

We're more likely to remember or learn things which we are interested in.

There are different learning styles - I have to write things down, then repeatedly try out a practical application before it will 'stick'. Other people can visualise and remember.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Apr 2014 12:04

I couldn't resist posting this quote:

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me,

because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

Graham

Graham Report 12 Apr 2014 13:07

Coming across as being well educated isn't cool. Many people like to impress their mates and think that the best way to do so is to talk about what's on tv.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2014 14:37

Hmmm Does that make those of us who frequent the Corrie thread uneducated/uneducable? :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Apr 2014 14:49

Absolutely not Ann, as i have watched it since the mid 60's and I work in education!
It always makes the conversation on a daily basis in the staffroom as do all the other soaps....escapism from the classroom for an hour!

Florence
in the hebrides :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2014 15:20

:-D :-D Florence

wisechild

wisechild Report 12 Apr 2014 15:42

There´s a big difference between being well educated & being intelligent.
It´s the people with high intelligence who manage to "work" the system. Their educational standard means very little.

Annx

Annx Report 12 Apr 2014 16:15

Years ago, we often used to say it was a pity certain individuals didn't apply their brains to getting work and off benefits with the same diligence as they did to attempting fraud!

I think many are bright, but not with sense, conscience or morals! They want to get plenty of money and without having to work for it. Others can be arrogant and feel clever 'beating the system' and think they are too clever to get caught. Then of course there are some that aren't bright who are just desperate for money whatever the reason and see an opportunity.

Nemo

Nemo Report 13 Apr 2014 14:18

Hi,

We are all gifted in some way. We certainly all have our strong and weak areas of knowledge. Broadly speaking people seem to be more comfortable either with numbers or with words. I'm a number person and the jobs and hobbies I've had have been heavily involved with numbers.

John

Merlin

Merlin Report 13 Apr 2014 14:46

I used to know a chap who was born on a Canal Barge and worked them for a while,he could,nt read or write but he knew exactly how much should be in his pay packet each week (He was by then a Forklift Driver) However his Artistry was beautiful,all freehand, he used to paint all the pictures etc on the Canal Boats,it was a marvel to see him.No doubt he has died by now but his paintings on the boats will live on.**M**