General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am sad but excited

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

WoodfortheTrees

WoodfortheTrees Report 12 Apr 2014 17:47

My f-I-l died 3 weeks ago and we have started the sad process of clearing his belongings. Today we found a likeness on porcelain of my husbands 3x Great Grandmother who was born in 1813. My f-I-l knew I was doing the family tree but had obviously forgotten he had this and my husband thought it was of his Grandmother. Do you think I could take a photo of this and scan that into the computer. This is the oldest likeness I have seen ,has anyone else got anything like this

WoodfortheTrees

WoodfortheTrees Report 12 Apr 2014 18:08

Have edited my first post as the lady was born in 1813 and died in 1881 could this have been a mourning broach?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2014 19:11

In answer to your original question, if you have a camera with a macro setting it should be possible to take a photo but take it in a well lit position and don't use flash. Without macro take it as closely as you can with it still in focus.

WoodfortheTrees

WoodfortheTrees Report 12 Apr 2014 22:39

Thanks Ann, have not tried to take photo yet but fascinated by my find . It is horrible going through someone's belongings but am fascinated by my find.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Apr 2014 06:17

A sad task for you both but I am sure there will be many finds that will raise a fond smile or a real laugh, and there might be more gems like the one you describe above.

Hope you manage to get a good photo of it, try all different settings and times of day for the right light.

I did that with a pic I wanted and got the result in the end.

May your f.i.l. rest in peace, reunited with his ancestors gone ahead.

Lizx

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 13 Apr 2014 08:26

I have taken photos of old photos (not porcelain) to make an album for someone and they came out well.

WoodfortheTrees

WoodfortheTrees Report 13 Apr 2014 13:18

Thank you for your replies have put the pendant somewhere safe for now but was wondering if I should have it valued, not that I would sell it. My daughter was helping me yesterday and was horrified to discover a DVD entitled sex for the over 40's. My f-I-l was in his 80s so there is hope for us all