General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lucrative hoarding habits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2014 09:12

My mother was a terrible hoarder as is the mother of OH. We say that, between them, they had one of everything in the world.

I am not so much of a hoarder but he works hard to replicate his mother's environment. He is the Big Heaper, she the Mighty Heaper.

I have always felt a bit isolated in dealing and living with this but, having just looked on the BBC site, realize that I certainly am not.

The self- storage industry in this country is worth an incredible £500 million.

So, all those people living in spacious, uncluttered homes are probably paying good money to bung their stuff in a glorified shed where they can go to visit it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2014 09:56

Personally, I consider the cardboard box perfect.
I find it hilarious that one of my daughters accuses me of hoarding - I have 'stuff' in the attic, and a few boxes (mainly containing books and mum's genealogical stuff), oh, and a sofa bed and 2 bookcases filling the small bedroom, awaiting collection by my other daughter (so not my hoarding at all), when SHE parks her car outside as her garage is full of 'stuff' :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2014 10:02

One person't junk could eventually be another persons treasure! Mind you, the stuff could well be junk.

Who of us hasn't seen items in a TV auction programme which we threw out years ago as old fashioned??

Graham

Graham Report 14 Apr 2014 10:04

I don't know many people who actually use their garage to park their car in. I tried to park my car in the garage a few years ago, but couldn't open the cars door to get out! So garages are better suited as storage areas because they're not big enough to park a car in.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Apr 2014 10:13

We have a double garage.

The car has never been in it.

I won't say the garage is full of junk, because 99% of the "stuff" belongs to Himself. Golf bags & sets of clubs (he can only use one set at a time), boxes of golf balls & other golfing bits & pieces..... then there are the tools.... enough to open a hardware shop...... three (yes, three) lawnmowers, ladders, wellyboots.......but there is a path through the middle of all this, so that we can get from inside the house, through the garage door.... to the car in the driveway.

I say I'm not a hoarder........ I've learned that if I throw something away, the next day I need it. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2014 10:13

I just can't imagine having so much stuff that you need to rent another room to keep it in.

That is giving somebody money that you could spend on something else to let you keep things you don't use in their special shed.

Linda

Linda Report 14 Apr 2014 10:37

My neighbour has taken over my garage with his fishing gear his filled his own one up now he's moved into mine, I've got a small corner at the back and my tumble dryer, but I love my neighbours :-D :-D :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 14 Apr 2014 11:17

I have started using my garage for the car.
I have a double one that never had the car in it as it was used to store all sorts of things and garden furniture ,tool etc.

Last year I got my grandsons to come and take stuff that I'll never use like tools etc and I couldn't watch as they went to the tip with things.
Still have a load of things to go through,but I splashed out and got a remote control double garage door and a smaller car,as it's only me now.

I had the driveway block paved...and now I just press the switch,go in and hey presto..my car is out of sight.
My neighbors now never know whether I'm in or out!!
Thought it would stop me having to scrape the ice off last winter,but we never had any! :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Apr 2014 11:45

We have two cars and one is in the garage.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2014 12:39

I agree, Sharron, having so much 'stuff', or 'collections' as they're sometimes called, that is stored in a unit you pay for, at least 3 miles away is just stupid!!

Before she died, mum was going to move to the UK. She spent one Summer renting a place near my sister, in Sussex, and brought a lot of (good quality) furniture etc over in preparation for permanently moving over. This stayed in a storage unit, I think it cost £55 a month.

Imagine spending that amount on stuff that is, on the whole, worth nothing!