General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For slimmers.....

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 14 Apr 2014 13:44

l found this on the net, l was looking for the free foods that one can eat as much as one likes:) plus all the basics......
Copied and pasted....

here’s a rough list of the things you will need to get your kitchen into gear:

BASICS

Stock cubes – chicken, beef, and vegetable (for soups, stews and sauces)
Chopped tomatoes – own brand is fine (for curries, pastas and chilli)
Potatoes – free, and fantastic. Bake them, boil them, chip them. It’s all good.
Chilli powder – own brand is fine, mild or hot is up to you, I use both!
Garlic – fresh is best, jars of purée can have syns. Even if you think you don’t like garlic, you more than likely consume it all the time without realising it. You need it for flavour.
Light soy sauce – for stir frying
Fry Light – the most important thing! 1 cal SPRAY. FRY LIGHT 1 CAL extra virgin cooking spray QUITE FREELY.

Eggs – learn to love eggs. Great for bulking up a breakfast or for making a kick-ass omelette. Eggs are free on all plans, providing they are cooked without adding butter or oil.
MEATS

All lean meat is free on Extra Easy, including bacon. Trim all fat and skin prior to cooking. If you’re buying mince, always choose extra lean. Cheaper cuts of beef/steak are still good, you just need to cook them a little longer and keep them moist. Supermarket meat isn’t all bad, but if you can find yourself a good butcher it’s usually worth it!

FRUIT AND VEGETABLES

Only buy the things you know you like. There’s no point spending lots of money on things you’ve never tried, or know you hate, in the hope that you’ll learn to love them. Chances are you won’t, and they’ll get thrown away. If you are seriously anti-veg, don’t worry about it, as you can still do very well at this plan! You could always try a blended veg soup – a great way of getting veg into your diet without realising it! Fruit is a big winner as it can satisfy a sweety craving, especially when teamed up with Mullerlight. If you are a lover of all things vegetably, happy days! Fill your boots! The more superfree foods you eat, the speedier the losses will be. Don’t forget though that sweetcorn and parsnips are not superfree, they are merely free – but a lot better than chips.

KITCHEN CUPBOARD STUFF

Dried pasta – any shape or size
Rice – NOT the microwave stuff! The dry stuff that you have to cook fresh. Basmati and Thai are all good, and are a great ‘takeaway replacement’.
Quickie hot snacks – Pasta n Sauce, Pasta Pot Shots, Noodle Pot Shots, Mug Shots, Batchlors Savoury Rice (be wary of these though, most varieties are free but some have a small amount of syns. Check this before you go buying, or bring your smartphone shopping too – you can Google syn values as you shop!)
Beans – on toast, on potatoes, with breakfast – beans are a Slimming Worlders best friend

DAIRY

Mullerlights – all varieties are free except the Greek, cheesecake, and layers versions
Milk – go for whole, you get less to use than if you choose semi-skimmed or skimmed.
Cheese – grated is good as it goes further. Ditch the mild stuff! The stronger a cheese is, the less you’ll need to use. Laughing Cow Light triangles are fab as you don’t need to weigh.

BREADS/CEREALS

Nimble Granary/Wholegrain – great for toast or for sandwiches, this bread keeps well and is satisfying. The white version is no longer allowed as it has less fibre.
Ryvita – a great fibre booster and handy for lunch, but if you’re used to bread I would give this a miss for a while until you get used to smaller portions of bread

Cereals – this is where you’ll need your book! 30g of cereal is a very tiny amount, especially if (like me) you have a big appetite and are used to giant bowls. You are also a wee bit limited to the more fibre rich varieties. No Coco Pops! But if you’re happy to stick with the prescribed amounts, bulk the bowl out with some fresh berries and banana, so the portion doesn’t seem so paltry.

Cereal bars – Alpen Lights are the way to go, as they have a decent variety and you can have two of them! Great as a nippy breakfast, or as a traybake replacement when you’re having coffee. They can seem expensive when put beside other brands, but they are definitely worth it. They’re also a lot cheaper than a bar of chocolate!

DRINKS

Most ‘diet’ drinks are free, but make sure and check the nutritional info anyway, as some products that appear healthy and diet friendly really aren’t! Coffee and teas, without added sugar, are free. Make sure and drink lots your first week, as this will help to flush all the nasties out of you!

SYNS……

If you are the type of person who can cope with naughty things in the house, then good for you. There are loads of low-syn treats you can keep in your cupboards, but I personally couldn’t cope. Not at first anyway. If you have a sweet tooth, it’s probably best not to keep that kind of stuff in the house at first – never underestimate how addictive chocolate is! However, you should still have a treat everyday. Use your syns! But perhaps just buy what you want each day, and consume it there and then. Great low/med syn treats include:

Cadbury Buttons – 8.5
Cadbury Curly Wurly – 6
Milky Way Crispy Rolls – 6.5
Quavers (25g bag) – 6.5
Snack a Jacks Salt&Vinegar (26g bag) – 5.5
Fun Size Twix – 5
Fun Size Maltesers – 5.5
Costa Coffee Iced Peach Tea (medio) – 4.5
Galaxy Ripple – 8.5
Kit Kat (2 finger) – 5.5
Walkers Baked Stars – 4.5
Jaffa Cakes (each) – 2.5

See? Loads of stuff, all well under the 10 syn threshold. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it’s possible that you can have up to 15 syns a day to begin with; your consultant will give you advice on this.

If you have all this stuff as part of your first shop, there’s no reason why you won’t lose weight, as long as you follow the rules of the plan of course. Have a wee think of what you’d like to eat over your first week, and make a note of it if you can. Writing stuff out seems very childish in ways, like you’re doing a study plan or something, but it helps you make sense of things in your head! It also means you’re less likely to go off track. The main rule is: EAT EAT EAT. Don’t go hungry at any stage. This is not a diet. It’s a lifestyle change! Fill up on free and superfree foods. Make sure you eat one serving of bread or cereal, and make sure you have a portion of dairy as well. Then, if you fancy it, treat yourself to some syns as a reward for having a great day of being a fully fledged Slimming Worlder! Yes, your initial shop may seem expensive, but your herbs and spices etc will last a while. Your first shop is an investment. After that, it will become second nature, and you’ll begin to enjoy forraging for the best deals on your favourite free foods! Not to mention the hunt for the elusive £1 Alpen Light Bar offer………It comes maybe once or twice a year. Make use of it when it does!

That’s all for now! Best of luck on your first week!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is useful to you, and hope it is for me too:)
My weight now is 12st....grrrr....l will get back to update weight in a week or 10 days..
l know there are other threads for diets but l could'nt find them and thought l'd start a new one:)
jude

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Apr 2014 13:50

I lost one and a half stone with Slimming World between June and October last year - still on target - very easy to do :-D

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 14 Apr 2014 13:55

Well done you AnnC.. :-) :-) :-)

l would'nt have thought you needed to lose that amount, when did we last meet??

jude

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Apr 2014 15:05

when I was a stone and a half heavier :-D

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 14 Apr 2014 16:14

lol :-) :-) :-)

JustJean

JustJean Report 14 Apr 2014 16:27

I have lost two stones doing S/W. but have stuck for weeks so need to get started again and shift it, so easy to creep back on... best of luck jude keep updating , and I will join you...

love Jean xx :-D

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 14 Apr 2014 17:33

Yeh...good on you, lets go for it:))

jude x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 14 Apr 2014 20:14

We've just had skinless chicken breast, onion, yellow pepper, mushroom, garlic (powder, lazy me), tin chopped toms, half an apple, light soya sauce and rice. Blinky yummy.
l cooked the onion in the Fry Light 1 cal spray, when almost done l added the chicken and garlic powder, in another frypan l heated the t/toms, added peppers, apple and mushrooms, more garlic power and light soya sauce. Had the rice cooking in a saucepan. Whooosh all gone:)

jude ;-) ;-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 14 Apr 2014 21:51

Hi Jude :-) :-)

Just popped in to wish you well with the diet and your thread :-) :-)

I have lost 6 of the 10lbs I gained since Christmas, although I am much slower than I used to be.

Did you know that I had my own Slimming Business? I ran slimming Groups for 10 years.

I had many funny incidents in class over the years. I have put this true story on another thread a while ago, but I thought it would make those who didn't see it laugh!

One lady came regularly to class. She had serious health problems and was on various medication, so her weight loss progress was usually slower than others. Normally, she wore trousers, but one lovely summer's day, she came in a long summery dress.

As, she stood on the scales, she was more wobbly than usual. I asked her if she was o.k. and did my best to support her. When I looked at the scales she had lost the best part of a STONE!!!

I panicked thinking my scales were not working, and didn't know what to say! Then she explained to me that SHE WAS NOT WEARING HER FALSE LEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-D :-D :-D

EDITED-I should have explained that the lady involved in this incident was a brilliant laugh! It was a bit of trick that she had played on me!
I would never have laughed at her, only with her! :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2014 00:36

That's a sensible diet......... not like the crazy woman I saw on the internet yesterday....... she eats at least 30 bananas every day (and a few other things).... sure, she looked good, but it wasn't a healthy diet.

:-0

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 15 Apr 2014 08:25

Morning everyone:)

Jem....flipping eck poor woman but yes that is funny, did she laugh??

LadyScozz....wow l would think she was abit bunged up with all those narna's....does'nt sound a good idea to me either.

l have just put on 2 eggs to boil, can eat as many eggs as l like and l love h/boiled eggs on their own with sprinkle of salt :-) :-)
l like of those fish/crab sticks with salad and have just bought some more...yummy..
great to munch on when peckish :-)

jude :-) ;-)

JustJean

JustJean Report 15 Apr 2014 09:21

Morning Jude , we had Smoked River Cobbler fish skinless and boneless, from a**a
two in the pack for £2, lovely taste I do it in a large steam bag in the microwave for 3 mins, plain boiled potatoes and garden peas, fantastic....yoghurt and srawberries for afters. my biggest cheat is french stixs, like crisps but less calories and around 5 syns so need to cut back on them.....this morning I have had one weetabix and yog and grapes. think it will be salad for lunch....only problem I dont have a huge appetite and couldnt eat a big plateful. its me age I think. ;-) ;-) your meal sounded lovely....

love Jean xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Apr 2014 09:41

Walker's "Stars" and Walker's "Pops" are a good substitute for crisps on SW

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Apr 2014 09:44

for a nice dessert on SW

I use a shallow oblong dish

put fruit on the bottom - frozen or fresh - cover with a sachet of sugar free jelly
leave it to set
then make up the other sachet with skimmed milk and some fat free fromage frais and pour over the top

you can eat with a squirt or two of Anchor aerosol low fat cream

edit - creme fraiche not fromage frais :-S :-S

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 15 Apr 2014 09:59

Now that sounds lovely AnnC......Vic would like that too ;-)

JustJean....fish dish sounds lovely, enjoy your salad this evening.
l bought a bag of frozen coley fish, 6 portions for £3.40 the other day, (waitrose) l will make a cheese(half fat) and spud bake and have with salad (me) peas/carrots for Vic...l'll use 4 portions for that. ....followed by a a muller fat free greek yog :-)

Jem...sorry forgot to respond to you having a diet/slimming business. How do Slimming world/weightwatchers compare to the diet you used?? SW is the only one l have had any interest in, so easy :-)

jude

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Apr 2014 11:20

creme fraiche not fromage frais :-S :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2014 12:19

fish/crab sticks!!!!!!!!! Do you know what is in them??? I think they are made the same way as "seafood extender"

Google, and you will be horrified.

:-(

Here is the link for the 30+ bananas a day woman........

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/dietandnutrition/healthychoices/8829960/diet-guru-eat-50-bananas-a-day-for-a-washboard-stomach

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 15 Apr 2014 13:12

Thanks LadyScozz....yuck, won't be eating them again, must admit l often wondered but did nothing about it :-| :-|..4 left in fridge will be going into the food rubbish bin!!
One of the comments about the Banana girl is "can't see any muscle, just skin and bone"....l bet there will beproblems someday soon!!

AnnC...l have a pot of that stuff, might try it with some banana...yum

jude

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Apr 2014 13:43

and only this morning, for the first time ever I bought a pack of crab sticks :-( :-( :-( :-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Apr 2014 14:18

I would put on lots of weight with that diet.

I am carbohydrate intolerant, this means I store all sugars after the carbs are broken down to sugar in my body.

I am not allowed pasta, rice, potatoes bread, beans most cereals and cakes etc. some veg and fruit are also out.

Found out last May when I was a size 18, took most carbs out of my diet, am now size 10 and still very slowly losing weight, have about another stone to go according to my doc. This will be about 6 lbs heavier than I was before I had children. So I'm getting near my weight in my 20s.

Should be a size 8 by the time I finish. For those of you who don't know a modern 8 is the size of 10 in the 1960s.

:-D