General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One rule for dogs....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 14 Apr 2014 20:22

Not long ago I saw a police horse leave a huge pile on a zebra crossing at Hammersmith Broadway. The officer rode on without a care in the world. Clearly there's one rule for police horses and another for responsible dog owners.

Recently I told someone that I had seen a cat taking a dump on our lawn and was told "All cats do it". I wondered what would have been the reaction if my dog had done the same.

We are rightly disgusted by dog owners who allow their pooches to foul our environment, yet other animals are left to do what they want. It's a good thing dogs don't have a sense of injustice. :-(

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 14 Apr 2014 20:27

But horse manure is good for the garden and dogs and cats isn't .
Remember when I was a child and a delivery man came with horse and cart...it was the first out with a shovel for the roses!! :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2014 20:30

You can train a dog where it is permissible to 'go'. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to most other animals.

As herbivores, the excreted waste from a horse is less likely to contain bacteria harmful to humans (it's a more pleasant smell than dogs as well!)

Pity you didn't have a bucket and spade with you - you could have taken it home for your roses ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Apr 2014 20:34

horse manure doesn't bother me - good for the garden, as is sheep manure too

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Apr 2014 21:18

in our town the police man and the horse stay put
till a man in a van with a shovel arrives

and when its all clean off they trot :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2014 22:36

Considerate to leave it on the zebra crossing.

That means the traffic will have to stop and wait while you shovel up every last bit.

How grateful your rhubarb will be!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Apr 2014 22:44

Years ago...

A neighbour's dogs used to use my garden as a toilet.

My mother was astonished when I got a shovel and threw the droppings over the fence.

Mother went into hysterical laughter when I told her the neighbours had moved out........ and was still getting dog droppings in the garden.

I never did find out who owned the guilty dog.

:-D

badger

badger Report 15 Apr 2014 08:57

I think the real point about dog droppings is that they CAN ,though not always cause blindness in children ,where as cats don't ,any owner of a dog who leaves said droppings lying around ,shouldn't have a dog .
I see dog owners all the time using the large green outside our house ,and cleaning up straight away after their animals ,most owners are responsible ,and well done to them. :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Apr 2014 14:02

Do poo can cause blindness in children. Which is why dog owners are required to pick it up.

Wish my cat would poo elsewhere, he will only go in our garden..... :-D

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 15 Apr 2014 14:15

Actually cat poo can also be infected with toxicaria, the thing that can cause blindness.

"Toxocariasis is an illness of humans caused by larvae (immature worms) of either the dog roundworm (Toxocara canis), the cat roundworm (Toxocara cati) or the fox (Toxocara canis)."

"Toxocara is found in the faeces of dogs and cats, and can contaminate the soil in gardens, parks and even playgrounds.

If accidentally ingested, the roundworm eggs hatch into larvae that penetrate through the walls of the digestive tract and in rare cases can migrate to the eyes and cause serious sight problems."

Hence the advice that pregnant women ahould get out of litter tray duties for the duration...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Apr 2014 14:17

Also, dogs tend to poo where people walk - cats don't.
Cats tend to bury their 'business' - apart from the one that poos on my grass :-| - no it's not one of mine - I've seen it, shouted at it and chased it!!!

With one of my cats, I had a problem. If he thought I was going to do a spot of planting, I'd swear he used to save it up.
I'd be out in the garden, nice tray of bedding plants to plant. I'd dig a hole, turn around to get the plant, and find the hole full of wee or worse!
That darn cat could do this about 6 times in succession
:-S :-S I soon learnt, and used to dig holes where I didn't want to plant anything first :-D

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Apr 2014 15:01

Some new houses have been built 300yd. from my house. A lady who lives in one has a dog. NOW... if that lady with her dog turns right from her front door, walks 30 yds., there is waste ground & footparths where she can walk her dog DO'ES SHE.... NO.. She turns left... WALKS HER DOG ALONG OUR ROAD which is a private road & lets the dog walk over our gardens. What do i call her. *%%^622888???

Annx

Annx Report 15 Apr 2014 17:13

I never have any problem with horse manure. If you google you will see that whereas there are 120 infections you can get from human, cat or dog faeces, there are only 2 from horses and neither of those have ever been documented as present in adult horses. Manure is excellent for the garden and the mushroom industry largely relies on it. I'd far rather clean that off my shoes than the dog or cat variety too!!

It astounds me that people fuss about horse manure. We owe pretty much everything to the humble horse, which we have exploited for hundreds of years. Where would we be today without the transport they provided us with for centuries enabling us to move about and move goods which speeded up our advancement to enjoy the standard of living we now have? How quickly would we have got coal out of the mines without them?

A million horses were sent to help us fight in the horrors of the Great War and suffered greatly with only 62,000 coming back. Their steadying natures helped many a soldier keep their sanity and they still help children and adults with mental health problems today. After the war many were killed and gave up their lives to feed the starving French.

In my eyes they are lovely creatures whose ancestors have suffered greatly for us and that I respect and owe my nice standard of living to. What's putting up with a bit of their poo compared with that?

Matchless

Matchless Report 15 Apr 2014 17:34

My Dad had a very well educated and well brought up cat as a neighbour.
Not only would it wrap its 'deposits' in decorated kitchen paper- it was able to flight test them square in the middle of his lawn!

One sunny Sunday afternoon, whilst enjoying a BBQ, one of these bright presents came floating down in the middle of our family gathering, the cat then wriggled his way through the garden fence to check on his aim.

At the time we had a lovely pudgy Golden Retriever puppy who watched with twitching brows at this interloper.

I can't quite recall the sequence of events, but the filled water bowl some how flew at the cat and it scaled the fence in double quick time, followed shortly afterwards by squeals of shock (presumably its owner) who was used as a landing pad by said Soggy Moggy!

I have cats of my own, Hempitty and Louella who never managed to 'wrap' and am at a loss as to where I failed in their training? They have never presented any issues to us or our neighbours - but maybe Eco Kitchen paper was the wrong type?

Getting back to the Horse Doo Doo- its only masticated grass, hay and Oats, so doesn't have the same gag effect, great for the Roses as already mentioned :-D