General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Make up brushes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2014 01:51

Do any of you ladies (or gents :-) ) use a foundation brush?

I got one a few months ago, but I'm thinking of throwing it out.

I either put on too much and look like I'm wearing a mask, or I have streaks all over my face, not a good look :-(

Any tips?

I might start using a trowel...... or pollyfilla :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2014 05:11

many many years ago, my daughter gave me a set of makeup brushes in a little silver case, nicely engraved with "Mum"

I used one of the 5 brushes once, and then never again!

I actually don't use anything except a moisturizer on my face ................... adding eye shadow and lipstick if I really want to get all togged up.

I use a little "stick" with a tiny foam pad on one end to apply the eye shadow.

I just couldn't get the hang of the brushes!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2014 06:04

I've got some beautiful Estee Lauder brushes that I use all the time, I prefer them to the sponge applicators (I got them as a freebie when I bought make-up when we were in the US a few years ago.... stocked up, because it's much cheaper there than in Oz).

I put make-up on twice a week... a smudge of eye-shadow & mascara, and lippy... the rest of the time it's just moisturiser.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Apr 2014 06:31

I haven't worn make-up since the Crusades but when I worked in the Estee Lauder factory and had a dressing table like Imelda Marcos it felt like a waste not to.

As I recall, I used to dot it on with my fingers and blend it in with little triangular wedge shaped sponges I must have bought in Superdrug.

Then, as I recall, I would set it with translucent powder, which became baby powder after I left the factory and the posh stuff ran out. That meant dabbing it all on like flour and then brushing it all off with a big moppy sort of brush.

It was a technique which stood me in good stead when I did kiss-o grams and wore thick Pan-Stick.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2014 08:55

Sharron, ever considered writing a book on your life story? Kissograms caught my eye there!!

LadyS I rarely wear more than a tinted moisturiser and a lipstick these days. But if I do wear eye shadow I use a brush. When I on very rare occasions wear blusher I have a large brush which actually brushes more off than on :-) :-)

GinN

GinN Report 15 Apr 2014 10:00

The only brush I use is for blusher, and the one on the end of a mascara wand - I won't leave the house without putting on mascara! Instead of foundation, I use a BB cream - it's great, and another product I won't be seen dead without! :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2014 11:12

Sharron ~ that's what I usually do (the dots & the sponge).... but I thought I'd try something different :-D... and I use a small sea sponge. I only use powder in winter, and only if I'm going somewhere special; can't use powder (or much foundation) in the summer here, cos it melts away with the humidity..... the powder turns into mud :-(

GinN ~ what's BB cream please?

:-D

I'm trying to imagine Sharron doing Kiss-a-grams............ :-D

GinN

GinN Report 15 Apr 2014 11:32

Scozz - not sure if you can get BB cream in Australia, but it's very popular here, lots of firms make it, but one of the best, in my opinion, is by Garnier. It acts a bit like a tinted moisturiser, but is mineral based. The coverage is a bit lighter than a foundation, but still pretty good, and has sun factor of at least 15. It's good for the skin, and is a bit of a multi tasker

Lynda :-) :-) :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2014 12:15

Thanks Lynda.. it sounds like a good product, and you look pretty good in your pic. :-)

I'm going shopping in a couple of weeks, I think I know a shop where I can find Garnier products.

If you're wondering about "a couple of weeks"..... we're a long way from major shopping centres, our small town only has the basics. :-) I keep a list of things we need...... and go to the shops when the list is long enough to warrant a trip, because neither of us enjoy shopping :-(

GinN

GinN Report 15 Apr 2014 13:32

Yes, Scozz - I do look quite good for 85 :-D :-D ;-) ;-) ;-)

Hope you find some on your next shopping trip :-) :-) :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Apr 2014 14:00

The art of using brushes is to remove most of the powder after loading.

Less is more...