General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Free access 18-21 April 2014.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 17 Apr 2014 18:43

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/uk/startyourstory

Island

Island Report 17 Apr 2014 19:04

Cheers for that Mr M :-D :-D :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 17 Apr 2014 19:37

My niece is thrilled....she is new to research and short of funds :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 17 Apr 2014 19:42

Thank you Mr M. for the nod.

I can find out more for my friend.

:-)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 19 Apr 2014 10:57

I have tried to get onto Census records and have been denied.

It seems to be just the WW1 records that are free this weekend.

Correct me if I am wrong. :-(

Island

Island Report 19 Apr 2014 11:14

No problem with viewing census images for me MtG. Check your compatability in 'tools'. If it's on click it off and vice versa, might make a difference.

I note that they don't do corrections to transcription errors but just add 'suggestions' even when it is patently obvious that the transcriber should have gone to 'you know where'. :-S

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Apr 2014 11:15

It seems that way MtG.

If you click on that link at the bottom there is "Access to the featured records............click on the link to see.

Island

Island Report 19 Apr 2014 11:32

1901 and 1911 only

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Apr 2014 12:59

Try to look at the 1911 census and you are invited to open a 'free' account. Not only that - they had mistranscribed my gran's second name - Nora as Hora! :-(

edit: try to look at anything and you are invited to open a 'free' account! :-| :-|

Island

Island Report 19 Apr 2014 13:32

Ha ha Maggie, my gran is Horence (Florence!)

I'm just putting names in the boxes as it comes up on Mr Ms' link and not having any problems with viewing what is on the free list which is not bad for a free starter.
I only get the 'free trial' invitation if I try looking at something not included in the deal.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 19 Apr 2014 15:20

No good at all. Clicked onto link Mr M. and done what you said Island, but still nothing!

Like Maggie all I get is the invitation to take a free account.

Maybe I should feed the hamster more to get the puter to work!

:-D

Island

Island Report 19 Apr 2014 15:30

I must be the chosen one :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Apr 2014 15:44

You must be, Island!
Seems to be mainly death records in the free deal - and even clicking on any part of them gives me the 'free trial' option :-(

AND they don't appear to have any records for my g x a few granddad Jarrett Baker, nor his son with the same name :-P
It's not as if it's a common name.

Island

Island Report 19 Apr 2014 16:21

Uh uh........I had a sub with them a few years ago so am still registered. I just signed out and guess what? Sign up :-D
I don't know if you need to submit card details? For a four day deal? Surely not?

I had a boogah of a job signing back in though 'cos I kept getting my password wrong :-0

Von

Von Report 19 Apr 2014 16:55

Thank you Mr.Magoo
I've been able to access probate records which has given me several death dates.
Interesting to see the amounts of money that were left. ;-) ;-)
Von

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Apr 2014 19:46

It seems to me that some have got it and some haven't..........sorry MtG.

Island

Island Report 19 Apr 2014 22:35

You need to register.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Apr 2014 11:16

System seems to be struggling with the free weekend.

I suppose that with all the FMP problems more people will be wanting to use the freebie.