General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bank Of England To Withdraw Houblon £50 Note.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Apr 2014 10:29

:-S.... :-S.... :-S.... :-S

The Bank of England is withdrawing 63 million £50 notes from circulation following a review of the note's ability to withstand fraud.

Off to fill some sacks and to the bank >>>>>>>>>>>

http://news.sky.com/story/1196187/bank-of-england-to-withdraw-houblon-50-note

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2014 10:46

You could send all your old, worthless ones here.

I am at a loose end now. It will give me something to do to get rid of them for you.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 19 Apr 2014 11:37

I've only ever seen 2 of them in my life..............and neither belonged to us :-(

~~~~~ to Sharron.

Merlin

Merlin Report 19 Apr 2014 13:40

Yes Sharron :-D You could get that Jenson FF you lust after. :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Apr 2014 14:33

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Documents/houblon50a4poster_gb.pdf

The £ 50 note has less purchasing power than the £ 5 note of 1970 and nobody thought £ 5 a king's ransom back then.

There are lots of legit. uses for £ 50 notes. You may be surprised but a significant proportion of property transactions are in cash. I have found that cash forex transactions can save a lot of money especially for transactions £ 1 - £ 5 K. Over £ 5 K commercial wire forex is cheaper. Cash is ideal at auctions home and abroad - most "Houses under the Hammer" sales are cash.

fyi €uroland has a very convenient green € 200 note.Germany has a reddish pink €500 note but some €uro states will not permit these - e.g. France.

Now that the BOfE is a branch office of the Canadian Central Bank in Ottawa we are to enjoy the pleasure of plastic notes which won't fold and cannot be written on. OTOH they are great for money laundering.
;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Apr 2014 15:52

Rollo does that mean they can't be treated with anything to catch thieves?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Apr 2014 12:09

Oh well suppose I had better hand in my stash then ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2014 13:02

When a previous bank note was withdrawn I was queuing in the bank behind a lady exchanging bank-wrapped and sealed bundles of notes. She must have had a couple of thousand pounds worth.

As this was during a time of high interest rates, it seemed a waste for her not to have invested it somewhere . She could have deposited it in dribs and drabs so as not to ring alarm bells. :-S

£50 notes are too large a denomination for our day-to-day use. Most spending goes on the cards + many small 'ordinary' shops refuse to take them because of the risk of counterfeits.