General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crash, Bang, Wallop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 7 Jun 2014 06:01

Nearly knocked out of bed this morning by one of most violent storms I can ever remember. Sky lit up, rumbles (really loud ones) for many seconds. Went on for about 20 minutes with lashings of rain.

Just checked news and, across the Bristol Channel, Somerset seems to be getting epicentre - and parts of north of England are also affected. Flood warnings in various places for 3 days.

Anyone affected. Anybody round you appear to be building a large boat? :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Jun 2014 06:19

Yikes John!

We had a few rumbles here last night too (no, I did not eat curry!) and some lightning flashes mostly out at sea.

Our winter is better than your summer.

:-)

Keep safe!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2014 06:21

I read somewhere that there was a big storm coming today to the UK, with lots of rain for some areas.

Keep safe and dry!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 7 Jun 2014 07:12

Our summer has been rubbish so far, Scozz. Fortunately had 3 day break in Venice a couple of weeks back to remind me of what warm weather and sunshine was all about. Penalty for a mild winter, my gran would have said. Happy birthday to her tomorrow, btw. 128 - but, alas, left the stage some years back.:-(

Thanks, Sylvia. Not a major problem yet in comparison to El Nino and wild weather conditions in other parts of world - but takes a lot to get me out of bed before 6am these days. :-0 :-D :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 7 Jun 2014 07:45

It's just started rumbling here now.....hoping it doesn't pour as I'm off to the caravan where my grandson and family with the 2 little children are packing up today and have to be out by 9.30am.
I have the travel cot to pick up that I have here for when my rather large lot of great grandchildren visit.
Oh the joys of being a grandma!
Just had another rumble...sounding nearer ........oh dear!!!
:-S :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Jun 2014 07:50

Thunder is caused by God smashing huge boulders with a large sledge hammer in Heaven.

That was my mum's saying to pacify her brood during such storms. And I still believe it.

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Jun 2014 08:41

it i very dark here but no rain yet(west yorkshire)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jun 2014 08:47

Thunder -didn't see lightning- I was still in bed - and lots of rain at 8am here.
Off to a picnic and a 'Summer' fete later :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jun 2014 08:48

Well, once my hearing aids are out, unless overhead I don't hear it. However OH said he heard it in the distance early morning but no lightening.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 7 Jun 2014 09:44

Dreadful in Somerset too.

I was hoping for a nice day on my own. Himself and his naughty mate down the lane, that sounds familiar, were going out for a walk on Exmoor but rain has stopped play.

My spare room tidying will have to be put on hold.

House is shaking with every thunder clap, which as John says go on for ages, water is pouring down the lane like a river.

M.
:-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jun 2014 11:07

woken at 3:15 this morning by lashing rain, lightning and thunder in the distance

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 7 Jun 2014 11:13

I hope those of you that got rain have avoided flooding, It seems these days the forecast cries wolf so often that people are inclined to discount the warnings.

Satellite pictures were showing us the end of the world approaching across the channel massive storms and heavy rain for this morning, a mouse could have piddled faster!.

A couple of half-hearted claps of thunder in Sussex and that was it, I wouldn’t be so critical if we hadn’t had endless weather forecasters telling us this week how much better forecasting is now as opposed to 1944.

Perhaps we have a micro climate because of some local feature, but you would think they’d spot that certain areas don’t get the weather they predict and adjust the local forecast appropriately.

Sure they can see a band of cloud coming up and say, well it will be generally cloudy or sunny today over the UK, but the insistence of how good and accurate they are really gets my goat!

My forecast based on a wet finger held up and a bit of seaweed hung from the shed is tomorrow there will unbroken sunshine all day, but at times it may be obscured by clouds or rain.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 7 Jun 2014 11:17

Woken about 5am with thunder and rain.....South Wales

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 7 Jun 2014 16:08

Glorious sunshine again today and enjoying every second of it although I do enjoy the occasional storm every now and again.

Just a cautionary note - remember to switch your computer off during a thunderstorm (and other things like televisions).

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 7 Jun 2014 16:29

After a rainy morning,it's turned out to be a lovely sunny afternoon....but boy,did it rain when I was trying to get the family sorted out after leaving the caravan..
Think storms may have gone further North now.