General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wikipedia Entries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Jun 2014 15:34

There is quite a lot of scope for them to be altered. I was particularly upset to see this recently:

“Esther Louise McVey (born 24 October 1967) is a British Conservative Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Wirral West since 2010, and the Assistant Grim Reaper for Disabled People since 2012, second only to Iain Duncan Smith. She was previously a television presenter and businesswoman before deciding to branch out into professional lying and helping disabled people into the grave.” Posted on 27 April. Amended quite rapidly. Shocking.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Jun 2014 15:49

It's a pity you can't see my FB page. I posted a cartoon today picturing an elderly lady in a wheelchair tied to a ducking stool. The caption read 'if she floats she's a cheat if she drowns she's really a disabled person'

There is a sign by the pond stating 'ATOS test' if would be funny if it wasn't so near to the truth.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Jun 2014 15:59

Rofl, SueC. Even though I know I should be :-0 :-0 :-0 :-( :-( :-(

Another Wikipedia hoax was in 2007 on entry for late Ronnie Hazelhurst:

Erroneous information (alleging that he had co-written a pop hit for band S Club 7) led to several news outlets repeating it in his obituary following his death, which in turn led to verifiable citations. The incident was widely reported in the UK media, in particular by Private Eye & Have I Got News for You.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Jun 2014 16:12

Wikipedia info is so hit and miss. Some of the contributors must have freed their hands from the straight jacket.

It's the unseemly rush to post the news of a death that makes me angry. Plus the wrong information published which is perpetuated by the ghouls. After someone with a sparking brain cell corrects the information it's far too late for the twerps who have spread misinformation as gospel. Oops I said gospel ;-)

Sirius

Sirius Report 17 Jun 2014 16:22

McVey has a voice only second in irritation value (imo) to William Hague...I think they must have had the same vocal coach.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Jun 2014 16:49

You must have been indoctrinated to say that word at school, Sue :-D ;-) Now for some mouthwash. ;-)

Perhaps the genius is right. Faith in our schools and institutions does cause violence. When I came on Genes first, one poster had notches on her crutches. Sprouting everywhere. Can you believe? :-D :-D

Sirius :-D :-D Don't think I know her. But often wonder if Hague puts it on a bit. Your accent tends to modify with University, and certainly if you have a wife with a thick Welsh accent and you live in London most of the week speaking to posh toffs.

Sirius

Sirius Report 17 Jun 2014 17:03

I think they both subscribe to the theory that if you speak slowly with a long pause between words it will add weight to what is being said. Particularly if talking to those they perceive to be 'less intelligent', ie all of 'us'.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Jun 2014 17:06

McVey is very popular on twitter, well as a target for venting anger. She could grate concrete with that voice :-(