General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A laundry problem

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jun 2014 10:18

How do you get biro ink out of a white T shirt? Would white spirit do it? I don't want to use the wrong thing only to discover I've 'set' it!

All (sensible) suggestions welcome.

Thank you!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Jun 2014 10:31

A couple of things I found by googling

Dish Detergent
• Dish detergent works as a degreasing agent that effectively breaks up biro ink stains and prevents them from setting in. Place a clean white towel or cloth under the stain, then drench with a little water and a few drops of liquid dish detergent. Blot the area to absorb the ink, and repeat as necessary until the stain is fully removed. Launder on a cold water cycle and hang to dry. Do not use hot water or heat on the area until the stain is fully removed, as heat can set the stain in permanently.
Rubbing Alcohol
• Rubbing alcohol works effectively to remove biro ink without damaging underlying surfaces. Place a clean white cloth or towel under the stain, then drench the ink stain with isopropyl rubbing alcohol (available for a few dollars per bottle any any grocery or drug store). Blot the stain with a paper towel, and repeat this process until the paper towel comes back ink-free. Then launder as usual in a cold water cycle and hang to air dry.
Baking Soda
• Baking soda also works to absorb stains caused by biro ink. Add enough water to baking soda to make a thick paste. Apply a thick layer to the stain and let sit for 30 minutes. Then work the solution into the stain with your fingertips and wash in a cold water cycle.
Hairspray
• Hairspray also breaks up ink stains. Spray the stain with a thick coating of hairspray. Blot away at the stain with a clean paper towel or cotton ball, and repeat as needed until all the ink has been removed. Launder as usual in a cold water cycle.

And the second

The first thing to know about ink stains is that they fall into a few different categories. Water-based ink stains are some of the easiest to remove. These are usually inks like washable markers. Permanent ink stains can be a nightmare to remove. These include most permanent highlighters and markers. Ballpoint ink can be tricky to remove, but responds well to treatment.
Ballpoint Ink Stains
If water-based stains are easy to remove and permanent ink stains are nearly impossible, ballpoint stains fall right in the middle. Just like in the examples above, start by laying your stained fabric on top of a clean dry cloth. Dab rubbing alcohol onto the ink stain. Begin blotting with a clean cloth. Continue until no ink stain remains. Rinse the clothing thoroughly. Now apply normal liquid laundry detergent onto the area and let it sit for between 3-5 minutes. Wash in the hottest water that is safe for the fabric.
If rubbing alcohol doesn't work, try nail polish remover, following the same instructions above. Be sure to rinse the fabric completely between using rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover. These items shouldn't be mixed.
Before drying, make sure the stain is completely gone. If it is not, repeat the previous steps until the stain is removed, or you decided to call it quits.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jun 2014 10:42

Hmmm........thanks for that Ann. As it was new last year, it would be a shame to ruin it.

Wish me luck!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Jun 2014 10:47

depending on how much I have removed it with a squirt of kitchen /bathroom and even carpet shampoo cleaner. give a little rub .....then into a normal hot white wash..didnt harm the fabric.even used it for grass stains on white socks, :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jun 2014 10:52

Thank you.......I'll let you know how I get on :-)

Samantha

Samantha Report 26 Jun 2014 11:07

Or, as its only a t/shirt you could throw it away and purchase another :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jun 2014 11:14

Nooo!!! Don't say that!!! :-( :-D

Its got a fancy cut neckline and slightly puffed sleeves. OK, it probably came from Primark or Matalan, but that's not the point. :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Jun 2014 11:46

I don't know what's available in the UK, but in Australia I use Napi-San. It's in liquid and granular formula. I've used the liquid one, watered down, to remove grease stains from cream coloured carpet.

I agree with AnninGlos about dishwashing liquid........ a squirt on the stain, and work it in your fingers until it feels sort of slimy (that sounds horrible)...... it might need a few treatments before the ink disappears.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 26 Jun 2014 12:53

methylated spirit usually works on biro, as always dab dab dab do not rub.

Otherwise go back to the 70's with tie and dye ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jun 2014 13:36

I had a lovely (expensive) new top. went out for a meal and the salad was smotherer in Olive Oil. Put my fork into a lettuce leaf and it shot off the plate straight onto the middle of my top. Like something from a comedy sketch!

Well after 1 machine wash with stain remover (very gentle wash) which did not work. 2 washes using just washing up liquid I finally suceeded in removing the stain. I was so happy, as I could not replace, no longer made.

I have found that washing up liquid can remove most stains. ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jun 2014 13:36

Oh and with some stains it is best to treat from the inside of the item.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jun 2014 16:30

My "Tips and Wrinkles" book says

Fountain pen ink - soak in milk, then wash.

Biro ink - soak in neat methylated spirits, then wash.

Marking ink - take to the cleaners as soon as possible.

I agree that washing up liquid is pretty good for most things.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 26 Jun 2014 17:19

you need to watch what you use as you may
fade the spot you are rubbing on
i would try washing up liquid it work a treat once when i had pen on my sofa

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jun 2014 19:31

Pen on a sofa could have worked out expensive..
DC - Cooking/salad oil is so difficult to get out. Next time it goes everywhere, washing up liquid will be the first option

Thank you for all your suggestions. The Methelated spirit seems to have worked. Its been rinsed through in dish washing liquid suds and is waiting to go through the machine.

The other (last year ) new T shirt got Foundation make-up and dribbled Cola on it at the last outing. That's been soaking in a bucket of biotex which seems to have worked. Perhaps White should be put on my 'do not buy' list?!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Jun 2014 19:41

For me "Cif"(lemon one in yellow bottle) cream works everytime. i just work a little onto the stain, then pop into machine and wash as normal. Disappears always like magic.

florence
in the hebrides

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 26 Jun 2014 20:47

OH! DET Can I hijack this thread for a quick question ...Meal out last night and curry down the front of an almost new white polyester top , any ideas please? :-(

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 26 Jun 2014 22:18

I use milk for a lot of stains. A small amount on the stain, rub until the stain has gone, then rinse thoroughly.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 26 Jun 2014 22:21

A bib for next time Nolls ;-) x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jun 2014 22:21

I've never tried removing curry stains, but it's like any other sauce and my first choice would be good old washing up liquid.

Perhaps someone else will know how to do it, from experience.

ann

ann Report 26 Jun 2014 23:00

Think its called Stain Devil. Removes ink grass and almost any stain. About £2 in *****. Brilliant