General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how funny ...................

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jul 2014 04:08

I have just been having a lovely chortle to myself.

I was away from June 10 to June 23, then away again from June 27 to today (July 5)

On June 26, I had some free time in the evening and so wasted some of it looking at threads on General Chat, there not being much other action on GR.

Some threads posted during the previous 2 weeks caught my eyes, and I posted comments on them, thinking that what I had to say was pertinent to the title and opening post even though the thread might be 3 or 4 days old.

On one particular thread, I also posted an end note that I was going to be away for another 10 days and therefore would not be able to reply to any comments ...............................

something must have made me think that my comments would elicit a reaction.

It seems that my posting did indeed elicit a reaction from the OP ...............................

.................... not because of what I said, but seemingly because I dared to post on an old thread and raise it from the dead :-)

It was nothing more than the fact that the title struck a chord with me, and so I posted

I certainly did not expect to return today, and see that thread still on page 1 of My Threads, even though no-one had posted on it for several days ..................... although that just shows how slow GR is these days :-)

Nor did I expect to see my actions queried several times, as thought there was some nefarious reason for my posting.

I'm afraid I found most of the later postings questioning my actions very funny!

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 6 Jul 2014 05:56

OH! Dear naughty you fancy having the nerve to post on an outdated post I didn't realise that wasn't on :-D :-D :-D By the way they may take you away if they catch you laughing at yourself :-0

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Jul 2014 06:03

I must admit I get confused when I start reading a thread then realise it's ancient lol but why worry, so long as you relate to the topic, surely you can post when you want, no law against it as far as I know.

I love the word chortle, it really describes the sound don't you think?

Keep up the chortling Sylvia, better than crying

Lizxxx

Graham

Graham Report 6 Jul 2014 09:58

We've all done it ;-) :-)

Allan

Allan Report 6 Jul 2014 10:48

Sylvia, I look at some of my threads, and the responses, and I would be over the moon if someone else responded no matter how much later :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 6 Jul 2014 11:13

I am sooo tempted to bookmark this post and reply in a couple of years time :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 6 Jul 2014 11:30

Do it, Mayfield :-D :-D :-D :-D

jax

jax Report 6 Jul 2014 12:17

This was not an ancient thread that Sylvia replied on......it was 4 or 5 days old, which of course if you have been away with no internet access it would be pretty recent to Sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jul 2014 20:32

Thanks all, for your responses

as jax says, it was indeed a recent thread, the last post on it was on June 22nd, and I posted on June 26 ..........

...................... it was on p.2 of General Chat when I saw it :-D

I was actually on a train somewhere on the Canadian Prairies on June 22nd, having a thoroughly enjoyable time without internet access

Mayfield .............................. like Allan, I'd love it if someone raised one of my chat threads years after the event because they saw something of interest in the OP :-D :-D

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 7 Jul 2014 00:18

Sometimes when reading a thread I think "I'm sure I've heard something about this before ... if I can remember when and what perhaps I can help the poster. Something rings a bell"

After several scratches of the head, leaning back in my chair and closing my eyes my mind remains blank.

The I check the board to see what other posters have put.....
And see that someone has added "This post is three (or two or five) years old .....

Ahhhhhh... Sometimes I see that I have posted a comment first time round!!
:-0 :-0 :-0 No wonder the subject seems familiar. :-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 7 Jul 2014 00:19

Keep up the good work Sylvia.

I double dare you Mayfield.

Kense

Kense Report 7 Jul 2014 08:38

I can't resist dragging this old thread up that no one has posted on for eight hours.

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jul 2014 09:21

KenSE

You can always comment on the following thread which had the last comment posted on 8 Oct 2010.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1241232

Whilst I didn't start the thread, I did tend to take it over :-D :-D

I just need some incentive to finish it :-| :-D :-D

Persephone

Persephone Report 7 Jul 2014 11:07

We discussed this problem when you were in NZ Allan.... about rattling your dags and finishing these stories of yours.

I revived the Pyrex story when Janey fell over again, even though she was not on the boards at that time.

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jul 2014 12:47

I know, Persie, I know :-(

If I could finish of what I start, I could probably have been a famous author by now :-0

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 7 Jul 2014 13:14

I don't know how I missed it the first time Allan, but have just enjoyed reading it . Go on ............

M. :-)

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jul 2014 13:25

OK, I'll rattle my dags :-D

What a quaint expression, and knowing something of Australian sheep (not on a personal level, of course) I can guess at the meaning :-D :-D :-D :-D

Persephone

Persephone Report 7 Jul 2014 13:47

I will tell Carole... as she will want to carry on reading it..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jul 2014 19:23

:-D :-D :-D

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jul 2014 20:26

<3

:-)