General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printing & saving documents from Genes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 17 Jul 2014 15:49

I'm not sure if things have changed, but I have in the past been able to both save documents to an external drive that are the result of searches, and copy & paste into say a word document & depending on the document to edit it e.g. changing the size to make things easier to read. I don't seem to be able to do that now. Can anyone shed any light on this? Have I simply not remembered how to do this properly?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Jul 2014 16:06

With a transcription of a record, which is the closest there is to a Document, just highlight, copy then paste in to a word doc (or similar).

You might find that you only get the header and footer, in my experiment
England & Wales births 1837-2006 and © brightsolid online publishing ltd

The word page also had a small icon of a clipboard just under the 'Brightsolid line'. Hovering over it revealed a drop down box 'paste options' from which I selected 'Keep text only' which made the missing text appear.

If that doesn't work, then hopefully someone else can come up with a suggestion

Julie

Julie Report 17 Jul 2014 18:13

Thanks for this, it does work for some items. I have however suddenly remembered how to deal with items that have the zoom & navigate facility on them. You can't highlight & copy these (or at least I can't find a way of doing so), but you can do a screen shot of the whole or part of the page & save that. I couldn't remember how to do a screen shot, but having searched on line many browsers have an add in to cope with this, or you can use the "snipping tool" within windows accessories if you are using a windows OS. I thought I would post this in case anyone else might find it useful.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Jul 2014 19:32

I have found the snipping tool very useful for other things - but it is limited in the size of the document you can take as you can't scroll down to extend the depth more than is initially visible

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jul 2014 19:45

The snipping tool is perfect for this - if you have an up to date version of Windows.

I posted details about cutting and pasting and using the snipping tool if you would like me to find the thread and bump it up.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Jul 2014 20:43

errol - if your previous thread showed how to enlarge the scope of the snipping tool please bump it up!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jul 2014 21:02

It didn't as far as I can remember.
The snipping tool takes a screen grab - in other words, only what you can actually see on the screen.
However, you can increase the size of area capture by doing things such as pressing F11 (which maximises the window size to go into full screen mode - press F11 again to return) and slightly decreasing the size to fit using zoom (you could use Control (Ctrl) and + or -). Decrease zoom to fit more into the window and then use the snipping tool. Paste the resultant snip into something like Word and then enlarge the image.
I haven't explained that very well but I hope it makes sense (it's been a long day teaching IT to people who didn't really want to learn).

Julie

Julie Report 17 Jul 2014 21:09

Thanks for the additional comments. I have found some articles online that deal with capturing scrolling pages & software that can cope with this. Does anyone know if any of these work with genes pages that incorporate the navigation facility? If not, does anyone know of any software that does?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Jul 2014 21:31

Errol -thanks - have kept that (c&p) and will try it out as soon as I can

Julie

Julie Report 19 Jul 2014 09:47

Errol, thanks for the tip about expanding & adjusting using zoom. However, I have found this only works if the level of zoom applied is modest. If a high level of decrease is applied, enlarging the image captured & pasted image results in an out of focus result. Anyone any other solutions?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jul 2014 10:20

A. (cheap) Install a virtual pdf printer eg DoPdf. FoxPrint
"Print" the document to the virtual pdf printer which will produce a pdf version of the file with no snipping limits.
Some applications eg BBC are setup to block virtual pdf printers or at least the output of graphics. However there are half a dozen free ones available and one of them usually works.

B. (More expensive)
A lot of software engineers now assume that users are running with 22 and 23 in screens with res. 1920 & 1680 horiz and > 1024 vert. Given the low price of a new monitor or under £ 50 on eBay they (wrongly) feel they can design a web site on that basis. However such screens do give you a bigger snip.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Jul 2014 11:25

I use the 'print screen' as well. Then paste to a word.doc

SueCar

SueCar Report 19 Jul 2014 11:32

I click just to the left of the words 'Record Transcription' and hold the left hand mouse key down as I do it, dragging across and down. All the text I want to highlight turns white with a blue background. When I get to the end of the text to highlight I right click on the blue. A drop-down menu appears and I select 'Copy'. Then I paste into a Word Document. :-)

Julie

Julie Report 19 Jul 2014 18:50

Thanks to all for their input. I have tried the pdf option, but this only seems to capture whatever is actually on the screen, albeit the whole of the screen is captured. What it doesn't do is capture the entire content of a window within the screen, it only captures the part of the window that is actually visible at the time you print using the pdf software. The more I think about it the more unlikely it seems that any software will enable the content of window that you can only see by navigating or moving what is visible to be captured. However, I am no IT expert, so someone could prove me wrong on this.