General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Very pleased to see that

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jul 2014 18:56

Meriam Ibrahim is safely out of the Sudan :-) Nice to see some good news !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28460383

jax

jax Report 24 Jul 2014 18:58

Hi RR nice to see you again :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Jul 2014 18:58

And to see you back Rose <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jul 2014 19:00

Thankyou Jax and Emma :-)

Do you like my rose? it's 'Tea Clipper' :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Jul 2014 19:01

It's beautiful :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jul 2014 19:04

It was bought for me by a friend Emma, to remind me of my gt gts who unloaded goods from the tea clippers :-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 24 Jul 2014 19:06

Great news, Rose.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Jul 2014 19:08

Very appropriate Rose, a thoughtful friend there :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jul 2014 19:12

~~~~ Guinevere :-)

She is Emma, I was talking to her on the phone at the weekend ( we live quite a long way away) and realised we have been friends for over 30 years!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Jul 2014 19:13

Wow...now that's a friendship :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Jul 2014 04:06

What a turnround for Meriam to have an audience with the Pope, he seems very approachable and it's good that he cares for people of all religions. I am glad she and her family will now be able to live their lives in America and not feel under threat but sad they have had to leave thier roots.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Jul 2014 04:18

Oops, sorry forgot to say hi Rose, love your Tea Clipper rose - I just looked it up.

Tea Clipper (Ausrover)

Category Potted English Roses
(Potted English Rose Collection)
Bred By David Austin
Flower Type Double/Full Bloom
Hardiness Hardy
Fragrance Strong
Repeating Excellent

Our wish is that English Roses should, unlike most Modern Roses, be as variable as possible in more than just colour; that each new variety should have its own unique character and beauty. ‘Tea Clipper’ is of a similar rich apricot to ‘Grace’ although in every other way it is a very different rose. The flowers are of an informal rosette shape and nicely quartered, each with a button eye which is retained to the end. It forms a large, rather upright shrub with its flowers nodding on the branch. It is almost completely without thorns and is particularly healthy. Usually the fragrance is a lovely mix of tea, myrrh and fruit, although sometimes it is almost pure citrus.

‘Tea Clipper’ (the last and finest of the sailing ships) is named to mark the centenary of the death of Frederick Horniman. He made his fortune as a tea trader and was a great collector. The Horniman Museum contains a fascinating collection of natural history specimens, cultural artefacts and musical instruments from around the world. 4 ft. x 3 ft.

(English Musk)

It's strange that you should be here as your name came to my mind earlier this evening.

Lizx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Jul 2014 08:42

'A Rose by any other name.............' Good to see our Rose back and not a bit faded or wilted either...... ;-)

Yes, good news about Meriam. I hope they can live the rest of their lives in peace.

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Jul 2014 08:43

Many years ago, I was carried by my parents to the local Catholic church in swaddling clothes. I was taken there against my will and baptised at the font.

I do not know if I wailed or not and those who might have a memory of that day are all gone or have forgotten about the matter. And how could I remember - I was only a few weeks old at the time.

I was introduced to an organisation to which I have been faithful despite its dodgy history, its scandals, and glorious times. Oh yes, it has had some tremendous times too and these are well recorded in the litany of the saints.

Sometimes my confidence in the organisation has been weak, sometimes strong and sometimes normal - whatever that is. Like Thomas the Apostle, I have had my doubts. Theology is not an exact science like mathematics. Scandal rarely shocks me anymore which is a shame and goodness regularly surprises me, which is great.

There have been good Catholics and bad Catholics, good Popes and bad Popes. But despite it all, the Catholic Church has muddled through, as it is muddling through at present.

Amen.

Von

Von Report 25 Jul 2014 12:56

I too am really pleased that this has been resolved.
What Meriam had to go through was barbaric and inhumane.

I did however think that it was interesting that it was the Italians who negotiated on her behalf .Listening to the ambassador it was clear that they have an on going dialogue with the Sudan so hopefully things might improve.

Always the optimist me

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 25 Jul 2014 13:01

Lovely words Dermot.....My thoughts exactly :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Jul 2014 18:34

I share many of your thoughts Dermot....but from the Anglican perspective :-D