General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How much longer will this heatwave last?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Jul 2014 13:16

Seems to be since early June and when oh when will south Hampshire get some rain - the storms passed by us - all we have had is an hour of 'soft' rain. hardly dampened the grass.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 25 Jul 2014 13:39

As much as I don't want to deprive anyone of this warm weather, personally the end cannot come soon enough for me, due to health problems - it makes me quite unwell :-(

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 25 Jul 2014 13:53

The heat keeps me indoors.....the dogs dislike it too.....This is far too hot for me :-(

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Jul 2014 14:03

Too hot for me also with health problems..

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Jul 2014 14:20

Always in the 30s in Menorca from mid June to mid September.
Used to cope reasonably well with it, but due to health problems, the last 2 or 3 years have been very difficult

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 25 Jul 2014 14:25

do you all have table fans? they're not air-conditioners but they do make a real difference to how you feel, which is good for the morale too - and they are not expensive for the relief they give

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 25 Jul 2014 14:41

Last week I got myself a couple of reasonably priced 9" Desk Fans from "W...sons" (there are other retailers of desk fans) ;-) when I have them on it does make things a bit more tolerable :-)

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 25 Jul 2014 14:47

Elizabeth wiv

I have ceiling fans....desk fans....floor fans and an air conditioning unit .......ok indoors ish......but outside is a no no :-(

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Jul 2014 16:04

I also as many of you, get trapped indoors in weather like this. Son the other week bought me a desk fan which plugs into computer - reduced to £6.99 in Cxxrys.

Have just had delivered this afternoon a new air cooler unit - that makes three in house plus a large fan.

Went on emergency steroids on Monday and Wednesday my emergency antibiotics for chest infection.

Am a bit concerned as it is only 6 weeks ago I had the same. OH says he gets tired of being told well your wife will be able to sit in garden................... He just is polite and says I can't but says that people do not seem to understand.

Do other posters find the same?

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Jul 2014 16:12

I too hate this heat. its a wonder our house dosnt lift off I have so many fans going and its still hot.
Here in Essex last sunday we had a hell of a storm and torrential rain, and again today still no cooler though.:(
Still gives me something to moan about. lol. ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2014 16:41

Well one way around the problem in south hampshire is here:

http://www.theshiplymington.co.uk/
or here
http://www.theguninn.com/
or even here
http://www.theaa.com/pubs/hamble-le-rice-the-bugle-374999

and while the time away bird watching beside the blue sea.

OTOH if you are in Gosport or Portsmouth this is the best bet:

http://goo.gl/b1Ediv

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2014 16:43

It isn't all that hot anyway. I used to live in the Gulf where summer night time temperatures are over 40 C and daytime can hit 60 C.

Who has economised by buying a car without air conditioning?
Daft especially in London and the south.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Jul 2014 16:48

No go for me Rollo - pub crawls are out - and OH is sole driver now. Horror of horrors to drive through New Forest in this weather and broken down cars.

Many bird feeders/table feeder/bird bath in our garden. Attached up to oxygen etc.

Want rain - lots of it and lower temperatures.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Jul 2014 16:54

We do have air conditioning in our car but I do not think you understand either.

Like others In GR I have severe COPD, outside of house use electric scooter, am on 24 hr oxygen, 3 inhalers, 14 tabs daily (at moment 21) and a nebuliser.
Have a Community Matron who visits at least once a week - daily if I am poorly.

There are those amongst us who have lived and still do with high temperatures - I also lived abroad for a time (not in Gulf) but it was 50 years ago.

Spare a thought for those less fortunate than yourself.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Jul 2014 16:56

I think a problem is that we don't do what people in other countries do in the hot summer months. In other countries they begin earlier and chores are done whilst it is cooler. They then rest up when it becomes too hot and then life begins again when it cools down a little later.
Must admit that the house we had when first married had warm air central heating. It was great as we could just have it blowing cold air everywhere.
No worries. In a few months we will all be saying it is too cold again.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Jul 2014 17:01

Barbara - for the past few weeks OH has been doing actually that and others in our village have joined in. (Those not in employment)

He was in local shop for his newspaper 7.00 a. and there was a long queue and outside several dogs tied up patiently waiting.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Jul 2014 17:23

Yes that is what we do too

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 25 Jul 2014 17:32

Who has been doing the Rain Dance?

It has been gloriously hot here, I love it. I work in air-conditioned place so it is very comfortable. But walking to work is the beggar!

However, back to the point, it has not stopped raining on and off for four hours.

Thunder and lightening too. I can see to the end of the road, but after that, a grey haze.

Who pinched Canary Wharf? That David Copperfield?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2014 17:36

why not move to the Hebrides or the Shetlands then ?
no snow no heatwaves no mad cyclist racing no mad ponies no grockles

why on earth people queue up to buy a print newspaper in 2014 will be the subject of many masters degree dissertations ... maybe it is some sort of silver @surfer antidote to the internet or maybe a conspiracy by the dogs who also demand walkies around 10pm.

I have never seen why any community should organise itself around the demands of a minority especially a small one. Where we live there are a lot of kids who like to play soccer on the green and are quite noisy in a harmless loony young teens sort of way. Those who think that owning property gives them some sort of right of control over OP lifestyles lined up the community police, the council and landlords to have any number of rules to stop kinds being kids. I am proud to say that I led a counter campaign which squashed all this permanently.

I am now told that I am responsible for a large loss of rent and have been sent to coventry by UKIP. My heart bleeds.
:-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2014 17:38

It is raining in a sweaty sort of way ... I could almost be in Orchard Ave Singapore.