General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A long long time ago

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2014 17:53

Recently the beeb has re shown the excellent series "Heart of Darkness" which dates from the middle ages aka the 1980s.

What is very obvious is that although a computer system is central to the plot nobody has any sort of communications device (except the police with crude radios ) and thus to my younger rellies the story line becomes more and more bizarre. Some years later HOD was remade set in the US complete with mobile phones and imho was the better movie.

Especially in relation to mobile phones ( not fixed computers, windows, internet, plods in flat caps etc ) does anybody else feel that those born before 1970 lived in a world as cut off from today's archipelago as when tv arrived big time in the 1950s, cheap steam trains and so on ?

For myself I find watching movies/tv such as Morse or the Trotters and mentally filing it into "period movies" along with Middlemarch and "Peaky Blinders" quite odd.