General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advanced search query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 9 Aug 2015 15:07

Does the advanced search facility work?
I am trying to research the name Cash on the Find Ancestors board but have over 1000 possibilities.
It just keeps saying `your search results are being prepared and you will be redirected shortly`.
Am I doing something wrong?

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Aug 2015 16:13

No, it hasn't worked for me for about 18 months, If I need to find something I use google, you could put in

genesreunited Cash

You will then get this as second result
"Cash - Find Ancestors - Boards - Genes Reunited", you can then click on the results shown.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 9 Aug 2015 17:29

Is this just an alternative to searching the trees?

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 9 Aug 2015 17:55

Thank you for your replies.
Last year I did a search on my maiden name on the Find Ancestors discussion board and stumbled across a discussion by another contributor which mentioned my great grandmother.
I decided to research the name Cash on the Find Ancestors board but I had over 1000 possibilities which are mostly general chat which includes the phrase cash, as opposed to the name.
I wanted to narrow down the search but the advanced search doesn't seem to work.
Wasn't sure if it was just me experiencing problems.

lavender

lavender Report 9 Aug 2015 20:37

I've tried it loads of times in recent months. I give up after 10 minutes.. like you I just get the same message.

How can they have a site that doesn't deliver the goods? :-( :-( :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2015 21:02

because they are busy trying to work out the direction that GR is going to go in ...

I was told that 2 months ago

lavender

lavender Report 9 Aug 2015 21:10

is that right, Sylvia?

pathetic excuse.. just need to splash out and fix it more like!

I really enjoyed using it when it was working and it would be so helpful.. :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2015 21:45

lavender ...........

nope, they will never splash out on GR ....................

I will not be at all surprised to see GR taken back to what it used to be .............. a site to build your tree(s), and communicate with others.

That is, as it was before the original owners sold it in 2007. It was at its best then ............... with people getting help from others, but without all the problems caused by having too little power on the servers to support everything else.

For GR to be what it could be would cost far too much money, and mean complete overhauling of every aspect.

The owner's other site is much more important to them.

GR has a skeleton staff, the best have been moved over to FMP

GR does not carry any records that have been transcribed by GR staff or under contract from GR........ instead you access records from other sites, mainly FMP, that GR has paid to access.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Aug 2015 09:02

How long before its merged with FMP?? :-S

lavender

lavender Report 10 Aug 2015 11:51

I wasn't aware of any of that, Sylvia. :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2015 17:24

DC .............

they have to circumvent the Competitions Board if they merge it with FMP.

The company was only allowed to buy GR on the definitive promise that it would remain as a stand alone company .............. BS controls 3 of the 4 leading genealogy companies in the UK, and the CB was very protective of that.

There are, I believe, huge penalties if the CB is circumvented

There are two things that can be done ................

run down one of the companies so much that members leave and there are no new members, then there could be a claim that the company was no longer viable and an application made to wind it up

return one of the companies to what it was ................. a free site on which to build a tree, on what was an excellent platform. Plus have one low membership fee for those who want to use the Community Boards

I'm hoping that the second is the alternative that will be chosen because I think that was GR's forte.

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 10 Aug 2015 20:40

I've just renewed my annual subscription after my 1st years membership - after reading your comments I'm wondering if that was a wise decision.....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2015 20:56

Cathryn ........

we can only wait and see where these discussions as to the future direction of GR lead.

I have been a member since 2003, but only at the lowest level ......... that's mainly because that was the only subscription and GR did not carry any records until after 2007 when ITV bought the site. Before that, we had to have subscriptions to other sites, such as ancestry and FMP.

I, like many others, had already found most of our ancestors, but we loved GR for the Boards, the help given and received, and also friendships formed while on the Boards.

Many of us are still hanging in, because we love helping others. Our own research is mainly finished, or the "lost" ancestor seems to be permanently lost!

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 10 Aug 2015 22:33

I'm finding my research (when I get the chance), so absorbing and enjoyable I hadn't even contemplated there would actually be a time when I would finish it.
What an awful thought!
Although I've got a very long way to go yet....
Anyway, I hope to take advantage of the boards shortly by submitting a request for help, so you experts can cast an eye on my current puzzler and give me your opinions and suggestions....
P.S I will follow your advice about posting all the details I know ..!

;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2015 00:18

:-D

David

David Report 27 Nov 2016 12:50

Advanced Search is stuck in an endless loop (same in both Firefox & IE11 browsers):

"Your search results are being prepared and you will be redirected shortly."

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Nov 2016 19:27

David ............

the reason is exactly as stated above.

it's broke