General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with FTM please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 2 Jan 2016 10:28

Happy New Year. I've not been on here for a while but thought I would catch up a bit with my research. Unfortunately I've had a new laptop and my FTM 2010 CD is missing to install it so I can get to my saved files. :( Is there anyway I can open my files without a copy of FTM? If not I'm more than happy to buy another version but which one would be suitable?
Thanks in anticipation.
Di

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jan 2016 10:58

I have FTM 6 (Ithink) on my old PC

I bought a new laptop and that version was too old for it so had to buy FTM 2012

Fortunately I had loaded my tree to Ancetsry so I was able to get the new FTM to download the tree from Ancetsry, AND it put it into the 2012 format

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Jan 2016 11:03

No.
Any version from 2010 up will do.

I use FTM 2014 and have no intention of upgrading it - @ncestry are dropping support for FTM in 2017 and it will be an online only product. Old versions of FTM will still work locally but it looks like the integration with the online service will be going :-(

Maplin & Tesco used to sell 2014 heavily discounted at under £ 20 maybe an especially fusty dusty musty Maplin's store may still have a copy ... after all they are still selling floppy disk drives, DVD players and such.

Otherwise you can get it on eBay, Amazon or even ancestry's own web site.

good luck