General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

am comparing quotes for bldgs and

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Apr 2016 16:50

contents insurance. Has anyone had dealings with either Direct Line or Admiral?
Thank you

Chris

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 11 Apr 2016 16:58

Direct Line's prices are competitive but I did not renew recently as their call handling systems are awful - I had a minor issue to sort out and, after 3 lengthy calls and tons of queuing, I was no further forward!

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Apr 2016 18:04

I was insured with Direct Line for some time. The cover was good but the price rose quite sharply and I found much the same policy at nearly half the cost elsewhere.

Andy

Annx

Annx Report 11 Apr 2016 19:18

It's a good few years ago now, but I found the same as Andy. They were cheap to start with but soon put their prices up once you were with them!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Apr 2016 20:09

I use a broker, Adrian Flux, for everything - contents, cars, biz, phones.
They are terrific people, speak real English, don't leave you hanging on the phone, online documents - and very competitive prices!

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Apr 2016 22:18

We were with Direct Line and obtained discounts every year for some time, and then they decided we had been given enough and the premium shot up.

If you are eligible the Civil Service Insurance Society (CSIS) is excellent value as they don't charge commission or other charges. It is available to all working or retired civil servants, most other public servants (police, NHS, British Rail, post office) and others I can't remember.

We have just renewed our house insurance and the premium is about 60% of what Direct Line were quoting.

If you think you might be eligible, full details are on this link.

http://www.csis.co.uk/eligibility/

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Apr 2016 23:15

Thank you all for the info.