General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old businesses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 24 Apr 2016 23:21

How do you find out about a grocery shop from 1910 era

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Apr 2016 23:37

Kelly's Directories/Trade Directroies.
Many are available to view online for free.
Quite a few are here:
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Apr 2016 10:25

If you know the address you could look for it on the 1911 census.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2016 10:40

If it was ‘commercial’ enough, they may have placed adverts for either services or staff vacancies in the local papers. Try the BNA either on this site or Findmypast.

We also need to consider that many small shops were in someone’s front room rather than commercial premises. Tracking the address forward in either Trade Directories as suggested above, or locally held Residential directories, will help you work out if there was a change of use or ownership.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Apr 2016 11:31

As well as Kellys ( Ancestry have most of Kellys ) the official govt site "London Gazette" has a lot of stuff about commercial businesses large and small. Free.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/
LGZ also has a stack of interesting stuff about armed forces citations and promotions.

The census never gives the name of commercial premises such as shops.

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Apr 2016 13:10

It's always worth googling the address, the name, local history sites and newspaper archives.

Alan

Alan Report 25 Apr 2016 23:51

Thanks for all your replies, I need to do some searching.
The business I was looking for is a grocery shop at 60 west Street scunthorpe. It was featured in the local paper with a photo recently, with a name of the owner as a G Hand, but we believe it is actually a C Hand. Charles Henry Hand, our grandfather.

Still trying to confirm this.
We have applied to the local paper for a copy of the photo.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Apr 2016 23:56

We used to have an old fashioned shop near us

Harry Dukes he could count in his head
quicker than any till :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 26 Apr 2016 11:05

Alan, on the 1901 census 60 West Street Scunthorpe is occupied by George Hand (and family) 'Provision Dealer'. No Charles in the household.

Island

Island Report 26 Apr 2016 11:17

60, West Street, Scunthorpe, Glanford Brigg, Lincolnshire

George Hand Head Married Male 49 1852 Provision Dealer Denton, Lincolnshire,
Susannah Hand Wife Married Female 45 1856 Yorkshire, England
Fanny Hand Daughter Single Female 24 1877 Frodingham, Lincolnshire
Dorothy E Hand Daughter Single Female 2 1899 - Frodingham, Lincolnshire
Susannah Pollage Aunt Single Female 75 1826 Own Means North Thoresby, Lincolnshire

Alan

Alan Report 26 Apr 2016 11:23

Thanks to both. It does look like it's our family, I recognise some of the names. We've got back as far as 1700, it was just the George that had us confused. I'm up in Lincolnshire now visiting but when I get home I'll get the family tree out and check.

Thanks for all your help and information.