General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ouick everybody down to DFS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 1 May 2016 13:26

Before THE SALE ENDS :-D :-D

Robert

Robert Report 1 May 2016 13:31

Or before the next one starts!!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 May 2016 13:32

OMG - when is it ending? ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2016 15:25

I wouldn't go near the place :-|

Earlier this year, a friend bought a sofa from them.
When it was delivered, she noticed a small mouldy patch on the back. the delivery driver refused to take it back and said it would soon dry out, and would be against the wall anyway.
Friend wasn't happy and phoned head office, who would send a representative around. In the meantime, friend had noticed there were no fire safety labels on the sofa.
The representative eventually arrived, and said they would cut the (now much bigger) mouldy area out and patch it, and he had some fire labels with him, which they could attach.
Friend said no, the sofa was to be replaced. It was also, by now, making both her and her cats ill.
She then got a message from DFS saying she had accepted the sofa (only because the delivery driver refused to take it back), and had refused any help or reconciliation they had offered, it was also 6 weeks since the sofa had been delivered, so, she had to pay.

She asked me to compose a letter for her to send. It went a bit like this:

1 The first complaint was made within 24 hours of the delivery - the additional time had been spent by DFS trying to negate their obligations.
2 The delivery driver REFUSED to take back the faulty sofa, despite being aware it was mouldy - Trades description
3 They claim ALL furniture has fire labels on when it leaves the factory - an obvious lie and illegal, and their suggestion that labels were added after was a serious breach of H & S, and also illegal.
4 The mould from the sofa was there before it arrived - obviously it wasn't 'made to order', as they say in their advertisements, but made and stored - Trades Description
5 The mould was making X and her cats ill - Health & Safety
6 The reviews on their website were obviously hand picked - other reviews were at odds with their website - Trades Description.

Plus a few other slightly 'official' threatening bits & pieces.

I pointed out that they had flouted both the Trades Description Act 1968 and the Consumer Protection Act 1987, and if we didn't receive a replacement Sofa by the end of the month, copies of the letter would be sent to both these institutions, and the Citizen's Advice Consumer Service would be contacted with a view to court proceedings.

She got her new sofa within a week :-D

She (via me) then demanded compensation for vets bills - the cat had a terrible chesty cough, the vet (who didn't know the situation) asked if there was mould in her house! - so he would back her up.
Strangely, when my friend started getting chesty symptoms, her doctor also asked if her house had mould!
She got £120 compensation.

So, no. I won't be going to DFS. :-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 1 May 2016 16:47

It never ends lol x :-D

LynGinN

LynGinN Report 1 May 2016 17:07

What annoys me about DFS is that if you don't take advantage of the 3 year interest free payments but pay the full amount in one go, they still charge you the same amount with no discount.

Seems wrong to me :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 May 2016 12:35

Have you ever tried dropping in a bit of case law when you are complaining? It works a treat, even if it is bullshot.

There is a good chance that whoever you are talking to is not able to put their finger on a case at will so they won't contradict you but they won't be entirely sure that you don't know what you are talking about either.

Good old Mrs Carlill and her case against the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company!