General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glass milk bottles

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jun 2016 10:54

Are they a thing of the past?

We're one of the rare households who have a doorstep delivery, in our case 3 times a week.
Today’s is in a plastic bottle with a note that they are hopeful - note hopeful - that the next delivery will be in glass.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 13 Jun 2016 16:08

Hi DET

Yes - delivery last Friday was in carton with a note - todays delivery is in a glass bottle :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jun 2016 16:45

Same here.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jun 2016 17:26

Yes, we get doorstep deliveries in four pint plastic bottles but a friend of mine who only gets one pint deliveries prefers hers in glass bottles and the same milkman delivers these as well.

Kath. x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Jun 2016 17:30

It has always been in glass for me except one Christmas that was a mixture of glass and cartons. Must admit that the cartons took up less room in the packed fridge!

I hope it doesn't mean the end of glass bottles,being nostalgic, but I suppose it is easier/cheaper than having to sterilise used bottles.

Anyone else put there bottles through the dishwasher before putting them out?....Just call me Mrs (Bucket) Bouquet :-D :-D

Chris

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Jun 2016 20:29

In the tea-room in Morwellham Quay on Saturday the milk for the tea was served in miniature milk bottles.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jun 2016 20:46

Today's delivery at crack of dawn was in glass bottle, as usual.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jun 2016 22:45

I 'signed up' for a milk delivery.
I asked for full fat, non-homogenised milk, which they said they did.
Upon finding a plastic carton blue top milk on my doorstep, I phoned to ask if it was a mistake.
Apparently, I asked for full fat milk. I then had to explain that it was homogenised, and I asked for non-homogenised milk.
He didn't know what I meant, until I said 'Jersey' milk, but then confused him by explaining it didn't have to be 'Jersey' milk, it can come from any place and any cow.
I cancelled. I don't want milk from a milk delivery firm that doesn't know about milk :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2016 07:17

That's a shame Maggie. Could the phone have been answered by a call centre, one where they work for several companies?

Bob - that sounds so sweet! Were they capped or refilled in the cafe?

Sharron & Elizabeth - is your delivery from Milk & More or someone else? The bottle shortage obviously not just in our area or in one depot. The substitution has never happened before. We actually got a 2pt plastic bottle rather than the usual one. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for replying.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 14 Jun 2016 10:16

Yes, my milk is from Milk & More and also the first time I have had plastic substituted for glass

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jun 2016 12:52

LOL
Maggie

remember them well

Pasteurised

Sterri,/Stirra

Jersey

and Homo'

and what was meant by " Cows' milk?!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2016 17:52

Det - they came knocking at my door!! :-|
One bloke checked with his 'mate' when I asked for non homogenised full fat.

Bob, it would be so much easier to ask for 'proper' milk :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jun 2016 23:06

that's what they used to say when I was a boy.....

or was tinned (condensed) milk something different

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2016 23:22

:-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jun 2016 09:07

It's in plastic again!

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 15 Jun 2016 09:53

:-| - mine is in glass today

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jun 2016 10:28

Ah ha!

http://tinyurl.com/hh4yn5x "The Grocer"
Article dated 22 Sep 2014

Dairy Crest is set to phase out milk in glass bottles…..the processor which ones Milk & More ….plans to close its (Hansworth) glass bottle dairy in 2 years time. Once the plant closes Dairy Crest will no longer produce any milk in glass bottles.

But more recently....

Return of the clinking milk bottle after dairy giant ... - Daily Mail
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Return-clinking-milk-bottle-dairy-giant-announces-reverse-plan...
24 Apr 2016 - The familiar early morning clink of glass bottles of milk arriving on the doorstep is set to make a comeback under a new delivery scheme.

...But now Muller has announced that it wants to reverse the plans and ‘rejuvenate and expand’ the Milk&More service which delivers milk and other daily essentials to more than 600,000 homes across the country....

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 15 Jun 2016 20:50

Who remembers sterilised milk? It came in a slim bottle with a crown cap like a beer bottle top. It was rather disgusting stuff.

Huia

Huia Report 15 Jun 2016 23:20

Here in New Zealand I dont think there is anywhere that uses glass bottles now. For some years it has been either the plastic 1, 2 or 3 litre bottles, or 1 litre and smaller cartons, and it is not delivered. I still have some of the old glass bottles, and they are now considered 'collectibles'.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Jun 2016 00:59

too much plastic in the world, at least the glass gets recycled, instead of ingested.....

just found out why my joints are a bit stiff...........

been rolling em too tight