General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Campaign Fear

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2016 11:24

11:07 Pound hits new 31-year low

BOOM! The pound just hit a new 31-year low against the US dollar, as Brexit fears continue to grip the financial markets. Sterling slumped over 4 cents to $1.3220, a level last seen in 1985, beating last Friday’s low.

:-0

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 27 Jun 2016 11:38

May I politely request that you stop this continual posting of anti Brexit facts,we can all read & Google for ourselves.

We have got the message & understand that you feel strongly about it, but it is now getting rather boring.

Negativity is not productive.

kandj

kandj Report 27 Jun 2016 11:58

I agree with Carol. Positive thoughts only from now on please.
Rollo...... you are becoming boring!

Kense

Kense Report 27 Jun 2016 12:02

Actually it is not boring, it is very worrying. Things dismissed as project fear are coming true and we haven't even left the EU yet.

So far there is no good cheer coming from the Brexit leaders and it seems that we will be in much the same position but without a voice in the EU.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jun 2016 12:14

I disagree Carol,

there are a lot of people on this site who can't google. :-)

Look, everyday we get threads that are inane or trivial or 'not for us', but no one should be told not to post more than once on a topic if it is important surely ?

Don't like the topic? don't add to it ( there are/ have been lots of threads that bore me silly, so I don't go on them :-)

The exchange rate is an important aspect of life whether it is connected to Brexit or otherwise ( I bought my current FMP sub in dollars...saved a fortune) and
actually it is pretty important that the £ is down against the dollar now, ...as a small online business if your web hosting is paid in dollars you will feel the effects almost immediately, no waiting 2 years before 'something happens'. That is just one small change 'overnight' , it may not be relevant to all...but it is to the people it affects, and it is not being "negative" it's just a fact.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jun 2016 12:22

NB don't forget if you don't want to read Rollo's threads you can always post an interesting one of your own :-)

Subjects not discussed recently

Big brother
what sweets you like
what tablets you take
Does your cat have fleas?
Whether the milk should go in the cup before the tea or be added
Have you read 50 shades of grey?
What you did on your holidays
Is Jim Parsons the funniest man on tv
and many more......

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 27 Jun 2016 12:24

:-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2016 12:28

Boris Johnson declares ‘project fear’ is over and the £ is stable.
Terrific, positive news! :-)

Unfortunately his comments have been followed by both Barlcays and RBS shares being suspended after heavy losses on the London Stock Exchange. Barclays share price was down 10.3 per cent and RBS was down 15 per cent on Monday, triggering automatic circuit breakers that kick in when a share price falls more than 8 per cent. The £ is down another 2c. Brussels won't answer the phone.

One thing is true we are all in it together like it or not.

A few swallows don't make a summer but I am increasingly sceptical that brexit/S50 will ever happen. Say we do file S50. Any new deal with the EU can be vetoed by any other member state. They are lining up their demands - Poland special rights in the UK for their people + a battalion of troops (free) in case Putin turns nasty, Spain - the Rock, France - City of London forex market and on and on. Our "friends" are viewing the UK in much the same way as a flock of vultures view a dying wildebeest.

How does it go? Be close to your friends but even closer to your enemies ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_System

Be positive, be happy, trust in the big red bus

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 27 Jun 2016 12:32

I am a bit sick of all the Political stuff myself

But we do have the choice to read or not :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jun 2016 12:48

Rollo is right in pointing these things out - they ere extremely serious and worrying. It is no use putting head in sand and pretending they aren't happening, they are, and this is the tip of the iceberg.

Nicola Sturgeon has replied to Boris - Project Farce has now begun and Boris is largely to blame.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2016 16:33

Don't worry there is a man with a plan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQk_832EAx4

Or maybe it is just a pipedream
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/27/brussels-rejects-boris-johnson-pipe-dream-over-single-market-access

Certainly if superman can obtain all the benefits of EU membership with none of the costs and regulations I would be as happy as a sandboy. Sadly my real world experience says it is a very long shot. Out to the yet-to-be-found 9th planet and back again.

:-S