General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I loved this headline .............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jul 2016 22:09

in the MailOnLine last night ...........

The Welsh minnows who put England's pampered flops to shame: How trio who together earn just a quarter of Rooney's wage made history with 3-1 win over Belgium to reach their first ever semi-final

This competition has certainly made nonense of the obscene salaries paid to European (including England) soccer players, and can be extrapolated to the similar payments in American Football and North American Ice Hockey!!

That's MY humble opinion, of course :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2016 22:45

Fully agree, Sylvia, the whole thing has got out of hand - and you can bet your bottom dollar, the IMPORTANT people ie cleaners, are on minimum wage, minimum staffing and probably zero hours contracts :-|

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Jul 2016 22:49

That's why I hate football and love rugby :-D

Plus the rugby team play as a team not like a collection of overpaid twits prancing around individually on the grass.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2016 22:59

Rugby teams also commemorated the anniversary of the Somme - foot ball teams didn't :-(

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Jul 2016 23:03

:-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jul 2016 23:09

Maggie ......

...... even the MailOnLine made a point of that last night

and of the fact that Rooney was lazing around on a yacht in the Mediterranean that cots £88,000 to rent

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jul 2016 01:24

The amount they earn is ridiculous - they could at least have offered a day's wage towards 'Help the Heroes', or other charities for injured/ex servicemen.
It's sickening, the number of ex servicemen who are homeless, or suffering from untreated mental health problems.

A programme - DIY SOS - transformed a whole street of uninhabited houses in Manchester into a hub for ex servicemen
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/nick-knowles-diy-sos-team-9669108

A day's pay from footballers could have done this in another couple of cities.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Jul 2016 02:25

There's a photo' getting around FB, showing football "heroes" and soldiers shouldering the coffin of a colleague.

Who are the real heroes?

Some sports people's salaries are obscene!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jul 2016 03:16

LS ..............

they certainly are obscene!

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 3 Jul 2016 03:20

GO ICELAND GO !!!!!!! and Wales

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jul 2016 03:38

RMS

I echo your shout :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jul 2016 07:58

I love it when, say, a footballer, trying to justify his huge salary, uses the excuse that he has a short working life.

PIFFLE!

Sportsmen have the same length of working lives as everyone else. They just have to change their jobs mid-stream like millions of other people around the world have to do.

I feel for the ordinary man trying to take his family to league matches. The price of tickets is beyond the reach of many. The only way some can take the family along is to support local teams which, to me, seems the way to go. Sure, the football may not be of the same quality but watching people play purely for the love of the game adds to the sense of enjoyment.

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Jul 2016 08:29

Professional football is an industry, not a sport.
Money drives everything.