General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 enquiry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cane

cane Report 12 Jul 2016 15:20

Can the 1939 census be searched by address only

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jul 2016 15:27

Yes :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2016 15:29

Bear in mind some of the transcriptions are dodgy, if you don't find it straight away broaden the terms eg if you can't find Mountfield Rd Sheffield...then look at Sheffield and go through the street index, you might find it as Mnt Field...that kind of thing :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jul 2016 15:31

yes, but be as specific about the location as possible
leave the place name blank

eg Great Bentley, Essex - works 9 records
Clacton, Essex (nearest large town ) - 19 162 records

(Gt Bentley is near Clacton)

cane

cane Report 12 Jul 2016 16:10

Thank you...Please could someone do me a look-up for: Penhurst grove Rushholme manchester...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jul 2016 16:22

Not finding it, but picked up this from an old thread of yours, just to try and pin down the location

i was after finding out abt an address in rusholme where i lived as a child. long since gone but just wondered if someone might be able to eigther check out the electoral register or the photos.i have looked on old osm with no luck. it just isnt there.the address is 3 penhurst grove(off thurloe street) and off wilmslow road rusholme manchester.it was prob demolished abt late 70/80s

http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1205691

cane

cane Report 12 Jul 2016 16:28

Very weird this, as this address doesn't appear to be on any piece of paper :-( :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2016 16:30

There's a Park grove following Thurloe st on the records....do you think it might have changed name after 1939 and before being demolished?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jul 2016 16:41

There's also The Grove off Wilmslow Rd. Odd numbers showing although the 2 people living at no 3 is closed.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jul 2016 16:44

Can you remember where it was in relation to Didsbury College? That could have been a Seminary with Theological Students

cane

cane Report 12 Jul 2016 16:54

oh I can't ...I have just found a few photos of penhurst grove on the Rushollme and Victoria park sight....But I need occupants :-(

Allan

Allan Report 12 Jul 2016 23:27

Not of relevance to this particular query, but many years ago I used to live in Banff Road, Rusholme, which is still in existence.

My first job was at the Xaverian College as a Laboratory Steward, way back in 1964 :-)

cane

cane Report 13 Jul 2016 10:28

Hi Allan,Nice to hear from another Rusholme fellow member.. :-)

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jul 2016 22:32

Thanks, Cane :-)

I have very fond memories of Rusholme from my early childhood. My Godmother used to have the Sweet Shop on the corner of Banff Road/Wilmslow Road.

I'm now living in Western Australia