General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I get Help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 8 Aug 2016 15:06

I have been trying for months to upload a gedcom but help seems abit thin on the ground, is there any, please! :-S

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Aug 2016 15:10

I upload gedcoms every few months and usually receive confirmation within an hour that it's been processed

I uploaded one on Friday.
As yet, no confirmation email and the gedcom file has definitely not been processed

Inky1

Inky1 Report 8 Aug 2016 15:11

Have you contacted support? ([email protected])

If so, what was the response to you?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 8 Aug 2016 15:14

Note my post on http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1361389

Four days on, another email exchange, yet still the system shows Import pending.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Aug 2016 15:35

Think he posts but doesn't read what's posted to him, he's repeating himself.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Aug 2016 15:35

I think several people have had problems with Gedcoms.

And reading the reply sent to Inky it doesn't look very promising. Have they actually got any techies there now I wonder. If not shouldn't they warn us?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Aug 2016 16:06

Thankies Folks.

I hadn't uploaded a gedcom for quite a few moths and forgot that I could check the status of Friday's gedcom upload

Message at import Screen
"Your tree is currently being processed. Please wait until your tree returns to the ready state before importing another GEDCOM file."

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Aug 2016 20:54

I have pm'd John telling him how to return to his threads.

Hopefully that will work!

John

John Report 8 Aug 2016 21:24

Found the threads, thank you. Reply from techs not very helpful, apparently there is some problem uploading gedcoms, but THREE months, really?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2016 00:29

John ...........

Glad you managed to find your way back!

no-one replying to you on these threads is employed by GR. We're all members like yourself.

If you want a response from GR email them at the following address .............. you SHOULD get a reply within 3 days, but I think the members have been giving you their honest experiences!

[email protected]

John

John Report 9 Aug 2016 04:18

I have had a reply but they confirm an ongoing problem
_ "Thank you for your email.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

I am aware that my technical colleagues have been investigating this fault so I have asked them for an update.

The Head of our Tree Team tells me that this is potentially quite a complex issue to resolve and at this stage, we cannot advise on when the issue will fully be resolved.

I do realise how frustrating this is for you, however, I cannot give you any further update at present.

We do hope that normal service will be resumed as soon as is viably possible.

Many thanks in advance of your patience while we work to resolve this."

I must admit that I am having a problem coming to terms with the fact that such a well respected site is having such protracted problems downloading the very type of file that it is based upon.
:-S

Inky1

Inky1 Report 9 Aug 2016 09:09

John,

I think that everyone echoes your final comment.

I don't know much about computer systems but puzzled as to why GR cannot "roll back" to a previous version. That is on the basis that someone has recently been tinkering with the program.

Being a simple soul my thoughts are:- Everything is in a large database. Members add/delete individual records (ie by person) or add/delete complete record sets (ie import/export .ged files). Presently we can do the former. But the latter falls over. Why? What IS this 'quite complex issue'?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 9 Aug 2016 12:12

Have also posted the following on the thread I show above:-

Update.

I have just checked my spare account.
It is now showing status as Ready. No tree. So I guess that the .ged file that I imported had been wiped as part to the GR system correction. Will have another go at importing later on.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Aug 2016 12:50

Mine too Inky.

The import screen also states "Ready"
It no longer says that I have a tree waiting to be processed .

The additions contained on the gedcom that uploaded on Friday do not appear on my tree

I have emailed support asking what happened to my Gedcom and why they have not been in contact with me

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2016 21:17

look ......

......... we ALL know that GR no longer has any real tech support, that all the resources are being directed to FMP, and that there have been "discussions" going on for the last couple of years "to determine the future focus for GR".

It is patently obvious that GR staff have been reduced to a minimum having been moved over to FMP ... and many of us have received replies to both GR and FMP queries from the same person, indicating the some of the staff are wearing 2 hats.

We all know that the best people have reluctantly been moved over to FMP or have left the company entirely

We were told years ago that the computer program for GR is still the old one, and that upgrading it is very complicated and expensive. After all, it is presumably the same basis that FR was developed on, and even Steve Pankhurst (the original developer of both FR and GR for those who don't know) gave up on attempting to re-do that site

so ............ draw your own conclusions

John

John Report 9 Aug 2016 21:26

Perhaps then they should not be taking on new accounts, this seems to be verging on fraud.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2016 22:28

no, it isn't

it is still a good FREE program for building your tree

it is still pretty good for finding contacts with others who MAY be related

it is still an excellent site for what it has always done best .......... member to member help

and it is one of the cheapest sites for doing that.

Even the Platinum level of membership is pretty cheap compared with what you pay on other sites ............ and FMP does not offer the member to member help, and I don't know whether you can see other trees and contact tree owners on FMP?

someone will tell me yea or nay there.

If you want the basics, it still provides them ............... unfortunately gedcom updates is not good and they don't seem to be able to solve the problem easily or quickly.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Aug 2016 23:28

I was not really impressed with the response I received from GR Support

"GR are aware of Technical Difficulties involving Gedcoms".
That's all and good but, they didn't inform me of any ongoing difficulty whilst I waited in vain for my gedcom to be processed.

"Your patience in this matter is appreciated"
I was given no indication of timescale or even if they intend to contact me whenever the problem is resolved.

GR support need to be proactive.
Why can't they put a message on the boards advising us of Technical Problems?
( I think I can guess the reason)

If John is correct and has been waiting 3 months already for his Gecoms to be processed, I dont hold out much hope of them ever fixing this.

I haven't had any hotmatches since 10 Jun and even then, none of them bore any resemblance to the individuals in my tree?

My sub auto renewed in the last few weeks but I'm seriously considering unticking the box and leaving

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2016 00:49

GlasgowLass ...........

you're lucky if you had Hot Matches as recently as June

some of us haven't had them for years!

Not that that worries me personally as so far every Hot Match that I've had has shown that I have more information than anyone else researching my families ............ and I was often matched with the information that I had supplied :-D

I understand that you would only be matched IF aome one else had updated their tree(s).

If no-one has updated since the last time your 20 names were matched, then you would not get any new Hot Matches.

John

John Report 10 Aug 2016 06:18

I do not feel that even a FREE program is worthwhile if you can not get started by the very basic action of uploading a gedcom file. Why take on new memberships?