General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now I am being difficult

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2016 13:34

So, we are having this 'ere coffee morning when I get my severe haircut. It starts at 10am and I don't much enjoy cake at that time of day so I have suggested we do bacon sandwiches because I think our butcher might provide the rashers which I am told are very good.

Now I am being told that it is suppose to be a cake event, well, yes, but the head shaving was intended for July/August WHEN THE WEATHER IS WARM and that it would not be possible to make bacon sandwiches in the church hall kitchen.

Well that is something that has fallen from a bull's bottom. We had bacon sandwiches for Fred's funeral, didn't we Gwynne? Not just bacon, we were duty bound to provide sausage sandwiches on that occasion!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 15:25

On the other hand, your supporting ladies may find it easier to bake and take. They won't have village hall grills or pans to wash up.

If you fancied something savoury, you could suggest cheese scones which could be warmed in the ovens?

Island

Island Report 10 Aug 2016 15:58

I thought you were vegetarian Sharron

'Let them eat cake'!!! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2016 16:28

I am vegetarian and my OH is a chef. Knocking out a few rasher sandwiches is not much to ask of him.

He will have to wake up next to a boiled egg for a while I suppose, won't he?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Aug 2016 18:13

Why not make bacon cakes - then you can eat cakes, but not sweet ones :-D

Here's one recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/brummie-bacon-cakes

I'm sure they could be reheated in the hall.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Aug 2016 18:17

...or a bacon cheese & tomato quiche.

A different recipe for bacon cakes: http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/baconcakes.htm

Totally different bacon cake: http://www.organicauthority.com/a-savory-cake-recipe-with-caramelized-onion-bacon-cheddar-beer-and-mustard/

Island

Island Report 10 Aug 2016 18:22

Who says it would not be possible to make bacon sandwiches in the church hall kitchen?
We need to get to the pigs bottom of this.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2016 18:53

Sod 'em.!

I have just had a committee member ring me to tell me categorically that we will not be having bacon sandwiches and I have upset the woman I spoke to and don't I know she is an old lady. Isf I want bacon sandwiches I can have them somewhere else.

Apparently builders eat bacon sandwiches at 10am but the sort of ladies who will be coming to the coffee morning have probably not ever had a bacon sandwich.

I will go through with this one but don't expect to see me mention volunteering for anything else.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Aug 2016 19:07

That's so unfair, Sharron. You will be the main fund raiser.
The committee member sounds like a right Linda Snell :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 19:09

Ooo...you've upset the village worthies! :-D :-D

Just do your part and let them get on with it. You're better than them. <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2016 19:09

She isn't but I think she is upset because the old lady has got herself in a state about it all.

I haven't thought to tell them that I have at least one biker type coming and I expect he will bring some friends. Oh I do hope so.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Aug 2016 19:11

:-D :-D :-D :-D

....and you MUST sneak in some bacon cakes :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2016 19:19

Sod 'em. They can take what they bloody well like. All they will get from me is my head.

Joeva

Joeva Report 10 Aug 2016 19:22

Go for it Sharron ...... just tell them 'keep your hair on' !

Let's face it you wont be ! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2016 19:29

Serves me right dunnit?

Island

Island Report 10 Aug 2016 20:43

Oooo I'd love to be a fly on the wall when your biker mates walk in :-D
Vapours all round

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Aug 2016 23:34

Sal Volatile at the ready!! :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2016 15:30

Have spoken to the woman who rang me. She was wound up about the old lady who has taken on the organizing and is making it very involved with invitations and all sorts.

Anyway, what we have decided is that they should have the church hall for the little cakies and coffee from 10-11 when I have my hair shaved and then we can cook up bacon butties for those of my sponsors who would like them and I wouldn't mind betting some of the terminally posh will hang about for one despite what the woman might think.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Aug 2016 00:21

A result?...............of sorts........

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Aug 2016 17:25

Our butcher has agreed to donate some rashers and I am told that his bacon is extremely good.