General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry- new package introduced

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 5 Sep 2016 14:38

What do you think of the cost of joining Ancestry- especially the new package they have introduced ?

WORLDWIDE

Roots overseas?

If your relatives migrated and you want to follow your family roots around the world you can with access to our 16 billion global records.

1 Month / £19.99

12 Months / £179.99

ALL ACCESS

Want the best?

If you want unrestricted access to every single record, get all the advantages of Worldwide plus access to dedicated archives on Fold3 (military) and Newspapers.com.

1 Month / £24.99

12 Months / £224.99

Barbra

Barbra Report 5 Sep 2016 15:11

Have a look for free 14days then decide .When you look at weekly amount its not a lot to get so much info .£4.33 per week .but saying that GR have a lot of info .& you get a lot of Help from GR friends .Barbra

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Sep 2016 15:30

Depends what other subs you have. Although expensive, I'd miss having world wide even though most of my research is complete.
The military records and newspapers are probably available elsewhere & likely to be US orientated.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Sep 2016 15:32

Re Fold3

familysearch.org › Blog › FamilySearch Affiliates
25 Nov 2014 - If you're searching for information about a relative who served in the United States armed forces, Fold3 is the place for you to begin. This site, owned by Ancestry.com, provides convenient access to ...

Full text on
https://familysearch.org/blog/en/fold3-source-military-records/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Sep 2016 15:37

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Newspapers.com
...mostly local USA, some Canada & elsewhere.

Links given to https://www.newspapers.com/papers/ & https://www.newspapers.com/browse/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Sep 2016 19:05

look at FMP Worldwide, which also gives you access to military and newspapers

.......... OH bought a sub for me last year, first time I've really used FMP, and I find certain aspects of it better that ancestry, others not as good.

The newspapers on FMP are from the British Newspaper Archive

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 5 Sep 2016 22:52

I had worldwide Ancestry for nearly 10 years and never begrudged the cost (did bargain with them at times) lol. Also felt they mislead people by what they said was available ie. army records ect. Hence why I posted the latest cost to join
Ancestry £224-99 rather a steep increase maybe for many people.

Many thanks to Detective and Silvia for the sites and info. you have posted - much appreciated. I often wonder how you have achieved so much knowledge and have lots of admiration for your skills.
I was a pensioner when I started with no computer skills and now get embarrassed and exasperated with slowing brain grrh.

However I do love to come on here to learn and help occasionally (I hope) if I can. I do miss seeing census ect. so I will have a look at the sites you found and decide the best options for me. Whatever site I join will mean learning all over again- wish me luck with my slow brain lol.
Thanks again- also to Barbra

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2016 00:18

Don't forget that many UK libraries have free access to both Ancestry and FMP. Whether the Library licence includes their WW records is another matter.
If you don't already, try familysearch and freecen, not that they'd necessarily give you access to the images.

As for your computer skills - use it or loose it. None of us are too old to learn.