General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BT Scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 12:31

Just received a call from an Indian lady telling me
that my broadband is being used by others.

Her speech was very hard to understand, she said my computer,
laptop etc were being misused.

Told her could not understand what she was talking about and to
put it in writing, she hung up.

Phoned BT re above and everything is as should be.

Just wanted to inform anyone who is unaware of this scam.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Sep 2016 12:36

I had one from an Indian lady last week too. She claimed to be from microsoft and wanted to fix my computer. I told her I didn't have one and hung up.

Robert

Robert Report 7 Sep 2016 13:00

Emma, I just tell them that I am not English (which is true) and I cannot understand what they are saying. They quickly hang up.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 13:07

Robert I normally use my strong Scottish accent
and they hang up on me :-D

This time I wanted to play along for awhile.

IGP I also tell them I do not have a computer.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Sep 2016 13:34

Mine is sometimes upstairs and they have to wait while I go and get it.

Of course, I live in an extremely tall house with hundreds and hundreds of steps to the stairs.

. I left one waiting for so long that she rang off but she rang back the next day to shout at me about it. Of course, that got her a long way!

Robert

Robert Report 7 Sep 2016 14:09

Emma, I don't have a STRONG accent - I'm from Edinburgh!!!
although I have lived in England for a long time.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 14:14

I meant I put on a strong accent Robert,
mind being an Aberdonian can be difficult
to understand at times.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 14:17

Sharron I can imagine how annoyed she must
have been, but very cheeky of her to call back,
on the bright side you didn't have to pay for the calls.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Sep 2016 14:39

We had a Glaswegian postman who we could usually understand if he talked fairly slowly but not for a couple of weeks after he had been back home for his holidays.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 15:12

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron I can't understand some Scots myself.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Sep 2016 15:28

OH was born and brought up in Glasgow and can understand most Scots, but broad aberdonian has him stumped. It is like a foreign language!

Some years ago he took a group from a children's home for a week's sailing. The boys only wanted to go ashore to look for "quines" (queens, to the uninitiated) and the girls didn't want to do anything!! :-)

One expression he did learn was "what fit me waldies?" or something that sounded like that, which translates as "where are my wellies?" :-S :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Sep 2016 15:50

Begorrah! I'm burdened with a certain persuasive accent. But none of you will guess which! Starts with an 'I' - but I'm not from Calautta. And I'm no lady either!

Anyway, if you'd like to leave your phone number on here along with your bank details & pin number, I'll be after fixing your troublesome computer with my special hammer, whether you have one or not. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Sep 2016 16:43

I keep telling them I don't know how to switch the computer on as my kids normally do it for me...some of them laugh then hang up others get very annoyed....they try to tell me how to switch it on and then I tell them I don't see any buttons how do you open the laptop up.......they have no sense of humour.....

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 17:39

:-D :-D Caroline love it.

Dermot, you Italians are smooth talkers ;-)

In Aberdeen a quine is a lass or a girl Andysmum,
the old English for quines is queens as you say :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Sep 2016 17:54

'Emma' - Italians(?) - how very dare you. I do not possess an Italian complexion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Sep 2016 17:55

Andysmum,
My OH spends a lot of time in Aberdeen.

When he first went up there on business as a young man, he stayed in guest houses.

Every morning he was asked if he wanted "Tea or Co-Fee?"
Every morning he replied "coffee please" and every morning the waitress poured him tea.
On the last day, she offered Tea or Co-Fee so he mimicked her and asked for Co-Fee.

It took a whole week but, he finally cracked it !

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2016 18:11

Dermot does that mean your peely wally then?

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Sep 2016 00:16

I just love an Irish accent and when a man from somewhere near the Giants Causeway was tasked with dealing with OH's tax debacle, I used to keep him chatting when he rang up about it. That's how I know he was from somewhere near the Giant's Causeway.

I used to look on it as a kind of free chatline that rang me.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Sep 2016 09:33

Dermo, if it isn't Indian or Italian, then Icelander must be a good guess...........

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Sep 2016 20:06

Bobtanian - Wrong!

Clue: The PM's first name is Enda. (not Edna!) And he's not very popular.