General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Underground Map.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Sep 2016 22:50

Interesting if you live in London.

About the project.
We are adding historical maps of London from every decade between 1800 and 1940, a period when London expanded from a city which did not extend beyond Mayfair, Vauxhall, Bethnal Green or Bermondsey.
During the Napoleanic Wars at the beginning of this period, Regent’s Park was still countryside and taking the waters of Kilburn was the height of fashion. Our mapping ends at the dawn of the Second World War with London having expanded to its modern size – the Green Belt legislation put paid to further expansion.

http://theundergroundmap.com/

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Sep 2016 23:11

I enjoyed looking at this as I used to work for London Transport and also born and lived in North London :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Sep 2016 01:04

Will certainly have a look at that.

I love maps and even had poor old OH buy me a copy of the Gough map for Christmas one year.

Very different era and not of much use to genealogists but it is on-line if anybody is interested in it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Sep 2016 13:44

fascinating, thank you

Von

Von Report 20 Sep 2016 14:42

Great site. Thank you for posting. :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 21 Sep 2016 19:33

Managed to get one of these in a book shop for £8....bargin.

Britannia, Volume the First by John Ogilby, 1939 - Facsimile Ed

Well worth getting if you can.

One on eBay £35.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britannia-Volume-the-First-by-John-Ogilby-1939-Facsimile-Ed-with-100-plates-/322266584750?hash=item4b0895d6ae:g:9bAAAOSwbYZXX~HH