General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Onions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 20 Sep 2016 23:43

Does anybody else have a problem with the effect it has on your innards? I have always avoided onions, particularly when eating out, because within 20 or 30 mins of eating them I have to make a sudden dash for the loo.

Yesterday morning at work I shamed myself. Every time I walked about little bits of gas were slipping out of me without warning, then finally (luckily I wasnt in the public part of the shop) a real humdinger of a spurt filled the air. The boss covered her nose and asked what that horrid smell was. I dont think the other ones had made a real smell, but that one certainly did. I confessed, and went to the loo, but all that passed was a little wind.

I was greatly puzzled as to the cause. It seemed to be ok when I was sitting, but walking, it just slipped out without warning. On the way home I suddenly remembered that the previous afternoon I had bought a hot bacon and egg pie for my dinner. It had some bits of onion in it. I picked out what I could of the onion, but there was obviously enough left to cause my problem.

NO MORE ONIONS FOR ME. :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Sep 2016 00:01

I couldn't imagine life without onions or garlic.

They don't give me any sort of urgent problem but they sure do make me let rip, in fact I don't even know what bloating is. Probably I have been lucky to have always been in a position where I could let them go.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 21 Sep 2016 00:24

Phew!!! :-0

*Places lace handkerchief under nose.............and heads orf to ones boudoir*

:-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Sep 2016 01:36

When trying to work out my reason my daughter had severe stomach cramps the doctor said to cut out certain foods to see if they were the problem...onions was right up there at the top of the list. Sorry don't know why but obviously there's something in their make up causing wind.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Sep 2016 10:10

I have bowel disease and although everything sets it off onions are one of the worst culprits. The only advice I received years ago was to make sure they were cooked thoroughly and had no 'bite' left.

I sympathise

Sue x

Phyll

Phyll Report 21 Sep 2016 14:40

I too suffer eating onions. Have to dash to the loo early next morning. I have IIBS so I do avoid onions when I can.
Phyll

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Sep 2016 15:01

I have awful problems of gas that just wants to escape without warning

I can stand up and fart with no warning it's going to do so

My grandson who has been with me in the summer holidays has said nanny !!!! And is quite uninhibited in his this is nanny and doing an impression of me . Funny but embarrassing .

So it's interesting to see onions could be one of the problems .i eat a lot of salads with spring onions as part of it so maybe I need to step back on them

Farting when least expected can be embarrassing especially if it's loud or with an awful smell

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Sep 2016 15:08

Oh Shirley, yes, we must meet very soon!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Sep 2016 15:34

Onion contain sulpur compound substance hence emits as such. sulphur as you know smells foul.

mind rub a wasp sting with a raw onion and it has healing properties,lots of med mixes come from the onion family.

phewwwwwwwwwwww you pongy folk.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Sep 2016 18:36

I love Onions but avoid them at all costs.Same with Leeks .A sudden dash to the loo after eating these is quite common. I have the same trouble with White Bread too.
I never used to have this trouble .As for wind after eating these things.... :-S :-S
More and more things these days seem to affect my digestive system..Maybe it is to do with getting older.Who knows,but it is no fun.

Huia

Huia Report 21 Sep 2016 22:23

It is nice to know I am not the only one with the problem. The silly things is that there had been earlier escapes of wind but no smell that I could detect, but that particular one - Phew. I was glad I wasnt serving behind the counter, I would have chased all the customers out. I dont think it was escaping when I was sitting down, so I will have to spend my time in the lunch room cutting up price tickets. Or stay at home.
:-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Sep 2016 23:25

My philosophy is 'Love me, love my farty arse!'

ann

ann Report 22 Sep 2016 07:59

I worked in a hospital years ago. We had a man come in for respite. He had a allergy against onions. The poor kitchen staff had a nightmare what to feed him. Even in gravy had onions. He had a very bland diet

magpie

magpie Report 22 Sep 2016 18:22

I love onions BUT for about the last ten years I've had to avoid them like the plague as they have such a dire effect!!! The onion soup that used to love is a complete No No! So OP you're not alone!! Leek's are still pretty alright, but for how long?!! I think with age you can develop an intolerance to certain foods, onions being the top of the list!!

Annx

Annx Report 22 Sep 2016 20:30

I have always been ok with onions, raw and cooked, and am fine with leeks. The same with brussel sprouts or baked beans. :-) When I first knew OH he was convinced I hadn't got an escape route! :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Sep 2016 08:52

Onions - raw, boiled or fried - I love'm.

A bit of advice:- never stand down-wind from me.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Sep 2016 11:14

I should probably stand beside you Dermot.

Went to visit my mate and her family one evening and she served me with a cheese sandwich because she thought I might not want what they were having, which was cheese and sliced garlic sandwiches. I certainly did!

Of course, there was that French onion soup that Fred made before i lay down on the floor to write an essay after they had gone to bed.(Strange habit I know!)

About 2am I thought it had given me wind but ,well, shall we just say it hadn't stopped at wind. Between my shoulder blades! I had to put all my clothes in the washing machine and have a bath!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Sep 2016 14:52

Feel for you!!

I went to Egypt for two weeks from the 24th August . We knew the possibie problems with dickey tums and tried to be very careful

Arrived on sat and was ok till the following Tuesday . Had a loose action early morning but was ok going into breakfast , sat after that in the lounge and was ok but then got a feeling!! Said maybe I will go to the loo just in case !! Was walking up to the loo and felt an awful feeling of water from my bum!! I cluched it like mad as was hoping I wasn't leaving a trail . Grandson said why is nanny holding her bum??? Daughter said she had possibly a wedgie!!! Well I had shit myself big time ,so embarrassing .

Meant I had to be very careful from them and we had to cancel a couple of trips cos daughter too got the shits and we had to be sure we could be near a loo just in case