General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No Comment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 23 Sep 2016 18:46

Is it just me or is anyone else having the same issues. You send someone a message asking if they are related to so and so and how they may be related, only to have that message opened and not replied to.

Infuriating to say the least

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Sep 2016 19:11

infuriating maybe, but bear in mind that the person you are messaging may no longer be on the site, may be ill or on holiday or may be have lost interest

Mark

Mark Report 23 Sep 2016 19:22

If they open up the message surely they are able to reply......

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Sep 2016 19:28

well that's different

Annx

Annx Report 23 Sep 2016 19:42

Equally Infuriating and a reason why some probably don't reply is a blunt request to share your tree and giving the scantiest information why. Not referring to you personally Mark!

I think the most usual reason is they open the message, don't have the time to look it up at that moment and then forget! :-S

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Sep 2016 19:42

I sent a PM to someone I helped in 2005 last week still un-opened.

Don't know whether they are still members.
Would have thought that if they are not still a member the message would not be able to be sent.

We will have to wait and see what happens.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Sep 2016 20:04

My brother in law had a tree on here.
He died, and my sister was totally unaware.
I had to contact Genes to get his tree deleted.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2016 20:45

GR never deletes a tree or a member ................. if you try to send a message to someone, GR will contact the member through the email address on record, all automatically.

If the email address has been changed, the message from GR will probably just float around in the internet, I doubt the computer has been set up to warn a human that there is a problem ................. and anyway, what would be the solution to the problem?

One other thing to remember is that some (??many) people do NOT want to have contact with others ............... they used this site to build their tree, and that is all they want to do.

Mark ............... you are not alone, this question or a similar one is asked on here at least once a month!

Remember however, that no-one can force any other member to make contact OR to share information!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Sep 2016 23:09

The person may not realise that they can reply even though they are not a paid member that being because you as a paid member mad first contact ,,,perhaps a mention of this in a message will bring results.

I had this happen and the person did reply after a second contact to explain they didnt need to pay a membership sub as I a paid member had made the inital contact.