General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lipstick

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Sep 2016 21:50

Don't know why I thought of this but do you remember when your mum put on lipstick she would always do that mwaa, mwaa, mwaa thing?

I suppose it must have been something to do with the shortage in the war.

Allan

Allan Report 29 Sep 2016 22:13

Strange really, I don't remember my mum putting on lipstick.

My dad, on the hand...... :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Sep 2016 22:19

And did he do the mwaa,mwaa,mwaa thing?

Allan

Allan Report 29 Sep 2016 22:24

Yes, but only when my mum was out

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Sep 2016 22:57

:-D :-D :-D @ Allan

:-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Sep 2016 23:34

My Mum didn't wear lippie,, but I'm sure my two aunts did.....and did the mwah thing...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Sep 2016 23:38

My mum occasionally wore lippy, but didn't put it on in my presence.

I can't stand the feel or 'taste' of lipstick. I use crayon.

That's lip crayon - not a child's crayon.....

Though, when I left a lip crayon on the table when my grandsons came around, they used it for colouring in :-( :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2016 01:13

I was taught to put on lipstick doing that mwaa ..... it was supposed to press the lipstick into place.

Then you put a piece of toilet paper or Kleenex between your lips and pressed them down ..... that was supposed to remove any excess so you didn't leave a mark on cps, glasses, napkins ............ or on someone's face :-D

Barry_

Barry_ Report 30 Sep 2016 06:43

Sorry to rain on the parade, ladies, but the mwaa, mwaa, mwaa expression was created especially so that many, many moons later Ennio Morricone would use it (brilliantly!) in his theme for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!
Ring any bells? Perhaps have a listen to it.
(I recently posted the British Ukele Orchestra playing this terrific theme tune.)

Talking of lipstick, one of the baking contestants on GBBO, Candice, is known for her deep and different shades each week ... along, it seems, with her pouting which apparently has not endeared her to many viewers.
(Thought you'd wanna know that.)

PS. I cannot recall my Mum or sisters doing the theme song bit with their lipstick application, but I clearly recall Mum doing whatever with tissue paper that Sylvia has noted.
I think I'll stay with the chapstick during winter!

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Sep 2016 16:21

I have been reliably informed that lipstick and shoe polish are chemically identical and that the only difference is in the colouring and scent.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2016 19:36

gee thanks, Brian :-D :-( :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Sep 2016 19:51

the thought of lipstick and the war bring back horrible memories for me

I was about ten years old and me, my Mum and my sister aged 3 were in the living room - I had my nose in a book as usual - probably Enid Blyton, when Mum said she was going to take a nap in the chair "Keep your eye on her" meaning my sister - I got back into my book and after a while my sister appeared and I nearly died - her face, all of it, was bright shocking pink. My mother had a sister living in London and she had got a lipstick for my Mum and it was so precious. My mother woke up and all hell broke loose - the lipstick was completely used up and it was so potent that it took days for my mother to get it off my sister's face!!

Annx

Annx Report 1 Oct 2016 13:25

I remember my mum doing the mwah mwah thing too and I only remember her ever wearing red lipstick when I was little. This was applied after panstick foundation and then rouge to her cheeks. That came in a round cardboard container and was compressed like the face powder (in a compact of course!) that followed. I can't ever remember any mascara or eyeshadow being used.

Jean

Jean Report 1 Oct 2016 14:31

I don't remember my Mum wearing lipstick, but I do remember her favorite perfume which was Evening In Paris , and I remember her telling us that during the war because she couldn't buy stockings they would draw pencil lines at the back of their legs so it would look like they had seams .

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Oct 2016 17:43

The old lipsticks were like candle wax and hard,no wonder they had to wrestle lips together to spread it out, :-D.and tissue it.
and once on it took ages to get off,,,,,,like tar.

When mum wore it she used to spread it with her little finger.. :-D.

I remember her having a big box with all kinds of makeups laid out in it that dad brought her back from Switzerland ,you couldnt get one here,

.I remember the smell now,really perfumey......

I think most wore Evening in Paris in the little blue bottles with a rubber stopper.

:-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Oct 2016 19:11

and Californian Poppy!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Oct 2016 20:49

Evening in Paris and California Poppy were the ones the girls in my class used. :-D

Even the names bring back memories. <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Oct 2016 22:08

you can still get Evening in Paris

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Oct 2016 22:13

Evening Paris Perfume - Up To 70% Off Evening Paris Perfume.

Ad ยท Evening-Paris-Perfume.catwalk.co.uk

Up To 70% Off Evening Paris Perfume. Compare

You have visited catwalk.co.uk once in last 7 days.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Oct 2016 05:32

Kay

I remember my mother spreading her lipstick with her little finger :-D

Mum's perfumes were Evening in paris for when she went out, and Lily of the Valley otherwise (??? by Coty?)

She also smoked a cigarette very rarely .............. but they had to be Sobranie Cocktail. They came in a very sophisticated looking shiny black packet if I remember correctly, and there were different colored cigarette papers ... five bright but pastelly shades and there was different coloured filter

EDIT ...... Sobranie Cocktail cigarettes are still available! According to Wikipedia, they're one of the oldest luxury tobacco brands in the world, established in 1879 when cigarettes had just become fashionable in Europe.

Trust my mother!!!

She was quite the flapper in the 1920s!!

She met my Dad while she was teaching dancing in a dance studio ........... I gather it was the Charleston!