General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Funny feeling about money

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Oct 2016 19:20

I don't use cash much, big bills get paid on-line and I pay for most things with a debit card.

The shave money was paid on-line today from the bank account and I have over £300 of cash here.

Of course, I am no better off, but I feel like I have won a fortune having all that cash. Such a novelty!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Oct 2016 21:16

Yes, it's strange isn't it?
We get so used to the direct transactions and cash becomes almost a novelty.

Are there any village shops where they might be grateful for change?
I used to sell collections of small change to our local shop.
It saved them paying for the service and made banking so much easier for me, when I went on the bus into town.

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Oct 2016 23:14

It will stay here as my stash. I will finger it an count it and look at my pile of cash.

There is always the milkman, paper man and butcher to be paid in cash so it won't hang about for ever.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Oct 2016 23:45

When I was an ag lab, both OH and I got paid in cash. I had a lockable metal box, with small brown money envelopes in. These envelopes were labelled 'gas', 'electric', 'car', 'shopping'.
We didn't pay rent, it was a tied cottage (hence very low pay).
Every week, we'd open our wage packets, and I'd put a certain amount in each envelope, and share out the remainder between us.
I did quite well, as he was an agricultural engineer, and my wages were lower than his :-D
Even now, I keep a 'stash' hidden :-D

Well, it's enough to pay an unexpected taxi fare. :-S

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Oct 2016 00:38

"Even now, I keep a 'stash' hidden"

does anyone else "save" those "new" or shiny coins

my latest main regret is that I once had a small collection of presentation packs of the tercentenery bill of rights coins.
I was in the habit of giving one to new borns ..trouble is, now I cant recall who I gave them to.........I hope the parents kept them intact, instead of spending them!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Oct 2016 01:26

I have a 50p coin worth £16, and 3 other coins worth more than their worth :-D

I give new borns book tokens.

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Oct 2016 12:46

I always had a second bank account which I called the Oxo tin account as well as a bit of cash at home stashed away somewhere.

There is also a little shed drawer in the kitchen for screwdrivers and string and all the other shed stuff that is in the kitchen. Sometimes I think the only thing in the shed id the lawnmower.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 4 Oct 2016 12:06

I worked with a man who on payday would carefully open his packet, pull out the payslip, rub out the pounds & reduce it by one pound. Then put a pound note in his pocket, because his wife always took his pay packet away from him & gave him back his spending money.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Oct 2016 13:36

Somebody where I used to work would raffle his wage packet every week.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Oct 2016 21:08

Malcolm ........

My dad once told me that he did something similar ....... he'd always given his pay packet to Mum, opened only to "check it was correct", and she then doled out the money.

BUT Mum was not a good money manager, and usually ran out of money on Tuesday (Thursday was pay day), and Dad could then "find" he had not spent all his "pocket money" so he had some to hand over.

He said that Mum never caught on!

I've often wondered what he had done to the pay slip, or if Mum had never checked it.

Maybe he did what your friend did :-D

This would have been back in the 40s and 50s, 'cos Mum died in 1961.

This was in a Lancashire town which had a definite matriarchal way of life ......... the women ruled. I think it might be true to say that every male handed over the money AND decision making to his wife or mother.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Nov 2016 17:46

I started work in 1952 got 12 shillings and sixpence. [ old money of course ]

After tax and NI I got around 10 plus shillings

Mum took 5 shillings for my keep and my weekly train fare was 2s 6p I paid 1 shilling a week to the tally man who I bought my coats etc from so it left me with just over 1 shilling for me!!!!!

Every time I got a pay rise mum would insist on taking half of it even though this was before tax so I ended up with less than half of it .
After a few years and I was saving to get married I got resentful of this so I became crafty and would lie about how much I got . Would say I got 75 pence not a pound so her half was reduced .

Meant every week I had to destroy my payslip