General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aberfan Young Wives Club

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Oct 2016 12:26

Did you see it?

Such strength, such dignity.

I went to Aberfan once, simply because I had always thought of it as a place in black and white and I wanted to reassure myself that there really was light and colour there.

Going there did not really do it but watching the programme last night did.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 13 Oct 2016 12:59

I didn't see the programme Sharron, but it obviously made an impression on you.

SugarAndSpice

SugarAndSpice Report 13 Oct 2016 13:32

Sharron,

Yes I did see it . I went to Aberfan to the memorial garden, then on to the cemetery to pay my Dad's respects to those who lost their lives in that disaster last Sunday.

Dad went to that school as he was born and brought up in Aberfan, he was quietly.
devastated by that terrible event.

I wasn't at all surprised by the way the women behaved. I agree with your statement about their strength and dignity.

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Oct 2016 13:39

I have only been to Wales since it was 'sanitized' and all the spoil heaps moved, to where I can't imagine, so I couldn't really picture what it must have been like before that terrible day.

Sugarand Spice, I hope you don't think this a disrespectful question but you will evidently understand the terrain better than will I. Where was the spoil heap that slipped? If you stand with the white arches on your left, where would the heap be, to your left or to your right?

I felt Aberfan to be a quiet , peaceful place and not brooding or sad in any way. Just a place getting on with it really.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2016 14:08

I watched the programme and found it very uplifting.

SugarAndSpice

SugarAndSpice Report 13 Oct 2016 14:11

Sharron,

Your question is not disrespectful at all. I should have said that I don't live in Wales I was visiting near to Aberfan which is why I went there. Where the tip was I don't honestly know.

Apparently if you look up the mountain from a particular spot you can still see the scar. We couldn't see it as we were in the wrong place.

I too found it very quiet and peaceful and as you say getting on with it..

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2016 16:20

I watched the programme and found it very moving.
It was good to see how the bereaved families have drawn strength from others in their community.

I've never visited Aberfan, but remember that terrible day so well.

A young teacher who'd not long left our college was among those killed with his class of children.