General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has it?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2016 10:08

This site has barely moved for two days now.

Has it finally died?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Oct 2016 10:23

It's certainly close to it. Mind you, those of us without school age children do tend to go away Sept & the beginning of Oct when it's a bit cheaper. There are at least 2 people who used to start threads who have been missing for a number of months. Their threads may not have appealed to everyone, but at least they kept the chat boards moving.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Oct 2016 10:42

dead as a dodo innit!!!

Robert

Robert Report 18 Oct 2016 10:53

I look every day at the various threads which at times are very interesting but I don't often have the urge to contribute.

Having said that, I would be sorry to see them disappear.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Oct 2016 11:18

I think it is certainly on it's last legs.

It might get some people back if GR were to offer free standard membership - even if only for one year - but I can't see that happening.

I think it was popular 10 to 15 years ago because there were always new records being released onto the internet so there was plenty for people to ask for look-ups about. Now it's all out there and there isn't much to get excited about.

I can well remember being really excited about each new census release and looking for everyone I could.

Kath. x

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2016 11:37

Then Fred up and died so I had nothing interesting to contribute.

Island

Island Report 18 Oct 2016 11:53

When three of Mersey and Co's daily threads are on the front page you know there's not much doing. :-0 :-D

Time to hitch up the donkey

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2016 12:10

You off to Bethlehem then?

Talking of which. Santa is sleeping in my bed again this year.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 18 Oct 2016 12:37

I'll swap you Santa for Old Man Snorer Sharron.

I'd noticed the boards have hardly moved this week but I am as much to blame as others who read but don't post much. Memo to self: Must do better

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Oct 2016 13:24

It would take me quite a time to read the threads every morning and
posting.

The debate threads, fun threads etc, also miss those who have
passed away, Daff, BC and others.

I miss Rose and her wise words, poetry threads and even those
who liked to stir the pot occasionally.

I admit I'm not as enthusiastic as I used to be so partly to blame.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Oct 2016 13:45

I think it was because of the "chat " sites, (msn,etc) being pulled ,

that sites like this "grew"

the family history side was a bonus.....for some....

Bob

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 18 Oct 2016 14:13

We've lost some great contributors and they haven't been replaced by enough new people coming in.

GR needs to attract new people to keep it going but instead they have left it to a lingering death. New people will look at Announcements and the like and realise it's been a very long time since anyone working at GR bothered putting in any visible input.

GR either admit you are letting this go or do something to save it. :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Oct 2016 14:19

Reminder to self: don't wait for someone else to do it, start new threads myself. :-D

Mine would vary from serious to silly, as the mood takes me. :-S

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 18 Oct 2016 14:21

Better than none at all JoyLouise. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2016 14:42

I don't think it was ever a good idea to put the games and quizzes on a separate thread.

The only thread I go on is this one and I would go on some of the game and quiz threads when they were on here but don't bother to go on to another thread to see them.

Santo Snores like a bandsaw as well Vera.

Joeva

Joeva Report 18 Oct 2016 23:45

I used to look on here as a member of GR quite often, but only look in very rarely of late. Many threads posted here recently have have no interest to me. Yes, I hear you say, why not post something yourself ....... I would indeed, but, my concerns are with the state of the world we are living in, the wars in other countries, the despair of people fleeing to find asylum in safety........ I could go on, but in the meantime I stick to Facebook for lighthearted contacts posts by my family and the Genealogical sites I am a member of on there. Quite frankly I am beginning to question why I continue to pay to be a member of this site :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Oct 2016 23:58

Joeva, if you began to post on topical subjects you would, I am sure, find that others have the same concerns that you have.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Oct 2016 00:06

there is a chain of thought that says , why worry about things that you have no control over?

Live your own life, and let the rest of the world worry about theirs...

having written that , I DO despair about the way that certain regimes only seem to have one purpose...........to destroy others as they have destroyed their own...

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Oct 2016 08:35

Two threads started.

One silly, one topical.

Anyone else game to start a thread?

:-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Oct 2016 11:48

I often wonder why the board is not full of posts extolling he wonderful world we live in post brexit and just how well it is all turning out.

I have had a text asking me to pick a few dozen people for post brexit redundancy notices to be served by the new year..
How should I go about it? Send a text ?

I'm also supposed to "have regard" re any redundancy payments, dismissal rights, retaining key staff with "fluency in modern languages" and on top holders of EU (non-UK) passports are to be retained. (Sounds of broken glass and broken laws).

Funny how human resources are never there when you need them ... texts on Sundays. Some big cheese wannabee this morning has been spooked by the news.

So now for a couple of months I shall have to lie through my teeth that everybody's job is safe. I once worked in Bad Homburg and really don't fancy a second stint.

So I say to myself, keep calm, dig in, don't panic.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh