General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's good to find pictures

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Oct 2016 14:59

of where your not so distant ancestors/relatives lived - but when the place looks like this, it's a bit sad:

https://abandonedsuffolk.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/sparrow-hawk-farm-suffolk/

I have pictures of my great grandmother Agnes visiting her sister Madeline here, and letters from Madeline's children to my gran, from this address, in the 1920's.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Oct 2016 15:12

Very sad indeed.

Did you notice.........

William I'm coming 4 you!

Engraved on the wooden beam?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Oct 2016 15:27

Yes :-0

The building has been Grade II listed since 2004, but the owners of the estate refuse to do anything to it :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Oct 2016 15:33

It is sad, but then anyone taking it on has to contend with a grade 2 listing. By the time Heritage & local planners have fought over what is acceptable*' it's far too costly for the new owner to implement.

* historically correct materials v energy saving/efficient insulation.

A grade 1 barn has been in some papers recently. The relevant authorities have been so slow coming up with a plan and grant, that the remaining section of building is on the point of collapse.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Oct 2016 18:13

Oh Maggie that is sad.

I love the stairs leading off one of what might be a living room and 'hidden' by an almost full-length door.

After my grandmother died in 1965, her little Welsh cottage was demolished.
It was right on a cross roads in the village. The wall of the kitchen was one junction, the fireplace wall of the living room was another.........OK in the days of pony and trap, but not so good as cars became popular.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 Oct 2016 18:26

That's very very sad.:-(

I bet it was a lovely farmhouse at one time!

As much as we would like historic / special buildings to be sympathetically restored, as DET says, it is not always possible/ affordable / cost-effective.

Then it becomes a ruin or it's demolished.

It doesn't make any sense!