General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sad old shopper.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Nov 2016 00:55

I have a Tesco delivery coming tomorrow and I am sure the staff at Tesco feel sorry for us.

Just revuing it makes me quite embarrassed that we are such sad old gits that out shopping list consists largely of mince and sultanas.

The most exotic thing on there is a litre of basic bath creme.

It is just as bad when we go around Lidl. Sometimes, in the queue, I have looked round at a trolley full of booze and frozen gateaux only to glance at my own where we have indulged in a swede for a change.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Nov 2016 01:02

:-D :-D :-D

you're a savvy shopper, buying only what you need and will use.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Nov 2016 01:05

Look on the positive side Sharron.............

At least you don't have to visit a foodbank for your weekly shop.

;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Nov 2016 01:26

They probably wouldn't have any swedes anyway.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Nov 2016 01:36

Oh dear!

:-(

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Nov 2016 01:38

I agree with Prickly and Sylvia Sharron.

You are a savvy shopper.
I am useless.

You would be horror- fied if you saw what I chucked out on Friday before popping off to Asda for the next load.
Past it's use by date:

Pack of 2 haddock in breadcrums ( M&S)
1 pack breaded chicken mini fillets (M&S)
1 pack steak mince ( Lidl)
1 carton fresh cream ( Lidl)
Various bits of sandwich chicken, ham and turkey in opened packs ( Asda)
lots and lots of other bits and pieces too

I could have put most of it in the freezer but it was already out of date before I remebered that it was all in the fridge ( the bigger one in the garage)

Hanging my head in shame :-( :-( :-(

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Nov 2016 01:51

GlasgowLass

Oh my goodness...........what a terrible waste of food!

:-0 :-0 :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Nov 2016 11:22

I don't know about meat, just not in my orbit, but that cream would have made scones.

What we eat is pretty ordinary stuff but it is made with Quorn and there is really very little difference. We did serve Quorn pasties at the village lunch and nobody noticed.

I have tried many of the crispy and breaded things that Quorn make but it is not really what we eat so have not bought them again although I do have their pies.

It is all of the exciting stuff we leave on the shelf, look what happens when I do try something new re the Daim lollies!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Nov 2016 12:31

GL it sounds as if your fridge in the garage is out of sight out of mind. Why not keep a list of everything that goes in it, cross off when you eat it. That way you will save money and conscience. That was a terrible waste of food. Yes my Mum used to make scones with sour milk or cream.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Nov 2016 16:03

The cream was for a pavlova.
I forgot to make that too
The mouldy raspberries ended up being fed to the birds :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2016 16:51

We're the same with our garage upright freezer. We'll buy things on offer, or with yellow stickers, forgetting we already have loads we haven't eaten.

Freezer-burnt casserole steak anyone?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Nov 2016 18:00

We have a big upright freezer in the basement, and a bottom freezer to the fridge upstairs.

However, we buy little prepared frozen food. There's usually a bag of breaded chicken fillets and another of French fries in the upstairs freezer for me to make a quick meal if OH is away or out for dinner. There's a bag of frozen peas, and several packets of bacon bought from the butcher and wrapped by me. Plus a small container of ice cream for OH, and 2 larger containers of non-dairy frozen dessert (aka false ice cream) for me.

The downstairs freezer has more ice cream and non-dairy frozen, plus meat roasts bought fresh from the butcher and then frozen by us. There's 1 bought apple and raspberry pie in there ............ and then large containers of frozen berries or juice ready for jamming or jelling.

Anything else in either freezer is left-over home made casserole stews, fish pies and shepherd's pie made by us and frozen in single servings. Both freezers also have bags of coffee beans for use "whenever".

Most has a maximum of 6 month turn over, some might be in there less than a week.

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Nov 2016 18:17

My freezer is full of bread from the bakery; meat bought on sale and frozen by me and veg to supplement fresh veg and any left over stews etc but none of them right now....oh and the ice cream when it's on sale far too expensive full price for the good stuff..........and we still never have anything to eat according to the kids !!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Nov 2016 18:45

Ah, the left over stews/casseroles.
Today, we shall be having this random brown stuff :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Nov 2016 19:51

YMCA

Yesterdays Muck Cooked Again