General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Birth & Death.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Nov 2016 16:48

The new format for locating Births & Deaths between census has found me 4 unknown births in one family.

The mother's maiden name has been transcribed different ways but they look very much the correct family.

It's worthwhile going through the births with MMN for a family.

A bit tedious but worth it. Would have been better if the date span was larger.

:-D :-D

Von

Von Report 20 Nov 2016 18:13

I did the same this morning Mr.Magoo. :-D :-D :-D after receiving my first PDF.

Unfortunately I found a few too many who can't possibly belong to one family
I've checked for marriages and have four couples to follow so I'm confident I will be able to sort who belongs to who. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Nov 2016 18:16

I've been using the 1911 census to try and work if there any missing children.
The mmn on the birth register only helps if it was actually registered prior to 1873 when it became compulsory.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Nov 2016 18:18

It's the MMN that's the key Von.

Annx

Annx Report 20 Nov 2016 18:38

I don't understand what's new? Is it for searching on GR? I have always just put a surname, mother's maiden name and a date range on Ancestry and FreeBMD to find other children in a family. This way you also find those that have been born and died between censuses.

Von

Von Report 20 Nov 2016 18:43

Yes that's what I mean. Too many with the same MMN :-0
Even though it's not such a common name

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Nov 2016 19:06

Even when you put the town that they lived in Von ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2016 19:45

Annx

We're all talking about GRO (General Register Office) where you order certificates from, and which provides/provided their index to Frrebmd, ancstry, and FMP (which is what GR accesses) but those Indexes do not have the mmn until mid-1911

However, GRO has now digitised their early records, and have produced a new Index which has the mmn for almost all the records going back to 1837 when registration began.

The only problem comes with illegitimate children when the mmn is not shown because it is the sme as the child's surname. HOWEVER, there do seem to be some records where no mmn is shown, but people are reporting that there was indeed a marriage.

Go to ......

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

click on Order Certificates Online

You have to sign up ........ got to Register/Log In in the box to the right

Follow Instructions

Then click on Search the GRO Indexes

Follow Instructions

Von

Von Report 20 Nov 2016 20:37

Yes.
Mind you I am looking at Davies in Wales ;-)

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Nov 2016 01:42

Von... You have my sympathy :-(

I must admit that the new GRO system has come up trumps for me.

Elusive GGrandmother's death, searched for over 10 years, now found and PDF copy certificate ordered.

Happy bunny here :-D

Chris

Von

Von Report 21 Nov 2016 09:26

Same here Chris. I'd already invested in one incorrect cert as the age wasn't given. Found the correct one now. :-D :-D :-D

I'm looking for my great granny's siblings and whilst the MMN isn't Davies there's about five children born at the same time with same MMN. Tantalisingly close. :-(

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 21 Nov 2016 10:58

I have one of the ones where the mmn is blank :-( {it is a SMITH in 1892 !!}

e-mailed Stockton Record Office yesterday to enquire if their copy had a mmn and reply just received to say it does - certificate ordered !

SugarAndSpice

SugarAndSpice Report 21 Nov 2016 11:34

Von,
I have a wrong marriage certificate for a Davies family my Grandmothers parents. Found the right family via another of the children's birth with right mothers maiden name, the certificate which I ordered only about 6 days ago arrived this morning. This has resolved a 20+ year mystery. Just have to find the right marriage now.

To all,

In the 9111 another set of my Gt. Grandparents listed 3 babies who had died I have found all 3 on this site. Also found another baby born to my Grandfather and his 1st wife.

Lastly I now know the maiden name of 1 Gt Grandmother by finding her maiden name spelt correctly for her eldest child although the other 3 children she had have a variation on a theme. Then there's the 2 Gt. Gt. Grandmother's I was able to verify their names 1st one by the birth of her youngest son he was born in 1841. Sending off for the certificate today. For the other I had completely the wrong maiden name. Luckily not climbing any of these 3 trees.

Andrew

Andrew Report 21 Nov 2016 11:47

I had success using the new system as well, finding children born and dying between the ceb=nsuses etc.

Have to say however that are are many errors in the transcription as with any other index. I haven't been able to find some records that I know exist from freeBMD in te GRO records.

Andy