General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching methods

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 21 Nov 2016 22:29

Hi
I am new to Genes Reunited.
Having a little trouble taking searches further.
Once I identify a relative, and I obtain a reference, Example 10, a, 1419.
Where do I go to get more in depth information relating to that reference?
Regards
Cockburnblue

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2016 22:39

What you are seeing is the GRO ref

You can get a copy of any cert from

www.gro.gov.uk. Costs £9.25 quoting the GRO ref on the order forms

Some London baptisms and parish copies of marriages to 1921 are viewable on Ancestry which saves buying the cert

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Nov 2016 22:54

go here:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

(free)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2016 04:42

BUT even if you do what Rollo says, you cannot see any more until you buy the certificate from GRO, using the url that Shirley posted.

However, freebmd is free, has bmds from the start of registration on 1 July 1837 to ca 1970/75, and that does save money

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Nov 2016 13:20

most times using FreeBMD and then cross referencing with census records it is possible to pull out mother's full name, maiden name and such without buying any certs..

Very useful sources are the areas (eg London) where the electoral list and state school admissions has been digitised by Ancestry. In the UK Ay is free at most public libraries.

Women with propery had local voting rights from the C19 and so would appear on electoral rolls.