General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE QUEENS COUSIN

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 27 Nov 2016 19:08

The Queens cousin Mrs Margaret Rhodes has died at the age of 91. She was the daughter of the 16th Elphinstone and the youngest sister of the Queen Mother lady Mary Bowes Lion therefore she was the Queens first cousin and one of her best friends. She was allowed to appear in programme about the royal and speak on the Queen behalf.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Nov 2016 19:41

When we were being 'educated' about death in our RE classes. the teachers always tended to speak in distant terms, focusing on ritual, tradition & even administration after the event.

What was not mentioned very much included how it feels to experience the death of a loved one or how to deal with the inevitable sadness. Family death is deeply personal.

Linda

Linda Report 27 Nov 2016 20:32

I really wish that we did talk about it more my mum and I used to joke about it witch was a light hearted way of talking about it we know what she wants but now she's in her 90s it's a no-no but I can understand that. On the other hand my children won't talk about it I think they I'm still in my 40s. ( I wish)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Nov 2016 22:02

I remember the lady and have seen her on several programmes re the royal family. I imagine she will be missed by Her Majesty as there are not many of her contemporary friends left really.

We had a remembrance service at church today where we remembered those who had died this last twelve months or so and whose funeral had taken place at our church. A lot of folk turned up to remember their loved ones including a family mourning a baby and others whose grandchildren had died. They lit candles and were given a bookmark in commemoration. There were tears and hugs but all seemed very appreciative of how the service was handled.

One cannot hide from death for ever....it is an inevitable event which we will all face one day but everyone handles it in their own way.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Nov 2016 23:32

This is very sad for the Queen.

Linda

Linda Report 27 Nov 2016 23:41

I love that idea Cynthia we have lost so many people this year the service must have been really happy and sad if you know what I mean I for one shall be glad to see this year out

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Nov 2016 06:22

I feel sad for the Queen, she must have lost almost all her close friends and confidants now and by the very nature of her job/life, she can't easily move on to younger friends.

I remember seeing Mrs Rhodes on many programmes, she was a real 'lady', old school. Her death must bring home to Her Majestyher own and Prince Philip's mortality. May she rest in peace.

Lizx