General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A new (BT) scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Nov 2016 12:48

OH took a phone call from someone saying they are from BT who are our internet providers.

They said that there are incidents of broadband hacking and that we should disconnect from the internet for 3 days.

At this point he put the phone down. The BT forums all say that its a scam.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Nov 2016 13:26

my friend's cousin just got scammed by an alleged BT caller who managed to clear out two of her bank accounts, one with £600 in it!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Nov 2016 13:32

Ouch!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2016 14:16

Bee thing is we think I wouldn't do that!! Click on that link etc ,but these scam artists are so clever that when you have been looking at a site or been doing online transactions a sudden email makes you think shite I have been hacked etc

When you get scam emails from banks or suppliers you do have accounts with it does get you off guard. I have clicked on a link but then backed away when it wants full details that the genuine supplier would know

You can think you are savvy but still get caught :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2016 14:52

Yes, I agree with Shirley you have to be constantly on your guard, even the most computer savvy can get caught in an unguarded moment.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 29 Nov 2016 15:16

There was a warning yesterday not to use "Public" Wifi to order online.

The hackers never seem to stop trying :-|

Linda

Linda Report 29 Nov 2016 15:21

My mum who has not got a computer but a few years ago someone from one of the London Police stations rang her up and said they had her card (she's never had a one)she asked for their number and she would ring them back she rang me instead and I rang the station and of course it was a scam a very nice policeman came out to see her. Not bad for a 91 year old

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Nov 2016 15:25

Well done to your Mum, Linda.

Some of the scammers who encourage you to ring your bank or what ever, hold the line open so that they end up taking the call.
If you can't use another device of your own, dial the one you're calling from. It should sound as enagaged.. If someone else answers, you've got 'em!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2016 15:29

I use Facebook

logged in and just close but not log out

some arsehole hacked my account and sent friend requests to family that i am already in contact with and was asking for money help

they even put my picture a bit skew whiff as their account photo

Fortunately I was messaged almost immediately from several family members,including my sister in Canada !! asking what was it all about.
Several too put warnings on Facebook that it looks likes aunties facebook has been hacked

Bloody scammers have no conscience about scamming money from victims